2" Sand Beds

gmusick

I have read on two different threads, recently, where people have stated that 2-3" sand beds make nitrate problems worse. The threads went on to say that I should have a 5" sand bed or go with a bare-bottom, if I want to get my nitrates down. Those threads were directed to other people's comments, but I recently switched from a CC substrate to a 3" LS substrate. I still seem to be having some problems with my nitrates, although not bad, but it made me wonder why would a 2-3" sand bed be worse than a DSB or a BB tank? Would it be worse than my CC substrate? I am confused! :notsure:
Thanks!
Glen

1journeyman

Here's how I understand it...
A shallow sand bed <2 inches is able to be thoroughly cleaned and moved about by sand stirring critters.
a Deep sand bed >4 inches provides the neccessary anaerobic (oxygen free) habitat for nitrate fixing bacteria to thrive.
In between (2-4 inches) can lead to a nitrate trap since it's too deep for good cleaning and too shallow for nitrate fixing.

cprdnick

Journey man pretty much nailed the theory on the head. However you must understand that the sand bed cannot "make nitrates worse". It has to do with the care you provide to your maintenance. DSB's are great, though I have never had a problem with my 2.5" sand bed. My Nitrates are usually between 0 and 10ppm.

mudplayerx

General rule of thumb is either 2.5 inches or 6+ inches.
ps- crushed coral is the tool of the devil. :p

just1nk4ng

Originally Posted by gmusick
I have read on two different threads, recently, where people have stated that 2-3" sand beds make nitrate problems worse. The threads went on to say that I should have a 5" sand bed or go with a bare-bottom, if I want to get my nitrates down. Those threads were directed to other people's comments, but I recently switched from a CC substrate to a 3" LS substrate. I still seem to be having some problems with my nitrates, although not bad, but it made me wonder why would a 2-3" sand bed be worse than a DSB or a BB tank? Would it be worse than my CC substrate? I am confused! :notsure:
Thanks!
Glen
what gallon tank do you have