2 skimmers

S

sestrada

I have a 46g tank with 40lbs of lr and 60lbs of dead sand. I plan on having a FOWLR tank for now with the possibility of upgrading to corals later. I have a remora skimmer rated for a 75g tank on it with the maxijet power head. My brother in law is getting out of the saltwater tank hobbie and asked me if I want his skimmer. He has the exact same skimmer as I do, as he is the one that recommended. Is this to much skimming for my size tank if I put both of them on the tank?
Also I was going to buy another powerhead because I have an aquaclear rated for 175 gph and whats on the skimmer which is rated for 275 gph? If I do put both skimmers on the tank should I still buy another powerhead?

birdy

I don't know if there is really a need to put another skimmer on your tank, I don't think it would do any harm but I don't know if it will do any good, you should have at least two power heads in your tank, they go down farther in the tank to circulate the water through the rocks and keep detritus from building up on the sandbed, put them on opposite ends of the tank and bounce the water off the glass to create currents in the tank.

S

sebae0

genarally speaking skimming is good, can you over skim i don't think so, alot of people put larger rated skimmers on there tanks with no ill effects so i don't think it would be a problem.

dzones

If you do decide to go with another skimmer I would pay close attention to your iodine levels since skimming removes that from the water.

aarone

why not just use one skimmer. They are pretty much gonna cancel out eachother and each do half the work that one would do on the tank, the only difference being you have two collection cups to empty and you are running more power for them thus costing you money. But its your choice.
aaron

aarone

no i have mine at opposite ends of the tank, and pointing dirctly in the middle. It works good and creates alot of surface agitaiton.
aaron

birdy

I have two powerheads in my tank they are on opposite ends of the tank, I have them aimed at the front glass and one aimed at the back glass, the hit the glass and it disperses the water flow.