2" styrofoam under tank?

armlocker

So i'm moving my reef over to my new 90 Gallon GLASS tank. I'm using a wooden stand and from what i've gathered here using styrofoam under the tank is a good idea to compensate for imperfections in the wood and/or possible warping. I have the blue 2" thick stuff already from recent construction, is that much to thick to use? Most reccomend 1/2"-3/4". Just thought i'd ask since i already have the stuff ya know? thx

michaeltx

with 2 inches you might have a lot of blue sticking out from under the tank. most recomend useing 1/4 to 1.2 because it will compact down and wont be visible.
you can always try the 2 inche foam with your test fill to see how much is sticky out.
Mike

armlocker

Thanks Mike, I'll just buy a new sheet of 1/4". Does anybody know of any reasons NOT to use styrofoam? Could it possibly dissolve from getting wet over time and CREATE an impurity under the tank that could cause a leak or crack?

keri

I think styrofoam takes about 100,000 years to biodegrade so it'll prolly be ok for the time you're using it :)
Seriously tho, water and/or salt shouldn't affect it.