2 weeks in, readings are strange

crmaykish

I have had my 55g tank set up for two weeks now and I have been running tests on it. I just tested it and I got:
Ammonia - 0.2
Nitrite - 0.05-0.1
Nitrates - very high (between 20-50)
I have 20 pounds of live rock in it along with some snails and hermit crabs. Had fish in initially but they are out.
About four days ago my tests were much different. Ammonia was about the same but Nitrites were much higher 0.3ish and Nitrates were lower 5-10.
I'm trying to figure out what this means. I seems like I am on the right track getting this tank to cycle. Would like to know your thoughts.
EDIT: I forgot to mention that on Wednesday I got some help from a friend with a well-established tank (3 years or so). She gave me A ziplock full of gravel, 10 gallons of water and a filter cartridge that I hung in front of a powerhead for a few days.
Could this have helped jumpstart my cycle? I am also seeing some purple and red algae growing on the rock and also on shells and debris on the ground.

crmaykish

approximately

Another thing, would it be okay to add uncured LR to the tank now, I have 50 lbs coming this week. I would rather stick it right it instead of cure it, but I don't want it to mess up the cycle.

monalisa

Originally Posted by sign guy
aproxamatly............. hmmm brain fart how is that word spelled?
approximately....
Anywho...your tank is probably right on track with the cycle. Just keep taking tests to see where you're at. It more than likely will be another couple to 4 weeks, depending on how much LR, LS, filtration, water type, etc.
Good luck, and keep us posted.
Lisa :happyfish

fbm

Absolutely, it will just help/prolong your cycle but not by much. The bacteria will populate more to account for the more load.

monalisa

Originally Posted by crmaykish
approximately

Another thing, would it be okay to add uncured LR to the tank now, I have 50 lbs coming this week. I would rather stick it right it instead of cure it, but I don't want it to mess up the cycle.
If you don't have critters in the tank, go ahead and put the LR right in. It will definitely help with the cycle, but then keep an eye on your water parameters for a few weeks. Please don't do this if there are critters, fish or coral, in the tank. In that case, you will need to cure the LR in a separate container.
Also, a fresh shrimp from the grocery store thrown into the tank will help the cycle greatly.

crmaykish

That's good. I would much rather not have to set up another container.
The ammonia spike from the die off won't hinder the cycle? If I am between Nitrites and Nitrates, won't I want to keep my ammonia low?

monalisa

Again, as long as you are cycling and have no critters, the LR will only help the cycle along...go for it. But as stated before, keep an eye on your params.
Keep us posted on how things go.