20,000 gallons at the Mirage, Las Vegas

saltn00b

here is the one crappy cell phone pic i got of this MEGA BEAST tank this weekend!
*look at the upper right hand corner, that puffer was close to 4' if not bigger.
some info:
This 20,000-gallon saltwater aquarium is home to angelfish, puffer fish, tangs and other exotic sea creatures.
Managed by The Mirage's own in-house aquarists, the aquarium accommodates more than 1,000 coral reef animals representing 60 species from Australia, Hawaii, Tonga, Fiji, the Red Sea, the Marshall Islands, the Sea of Cortez and the Caribbean. These sea animals were all selected for their adaptability to the environment and compatibility with other species.
One of the most elaborate and technically advanced aquariums in the world, the tank is 53 feet long, eight feet from top to bottom, and six feet from front to back. The acrylic used in the aquarium is 4 inches thick. The ******** was carefully created to simulate an intricately detailed, artificial coral reef. To preserve the living reefs in the ocean, no live coral is used in the tank.

anthonyjc

For some reason I really was not a big fan of it when I was in vegas a few months ago. I felt like they took the easy way out with no corals or inverts and just packed it with too many fish. Also there is no theme to the tank, no schooling fish or trophy fish just a hodge podge of pet store stuff. Just my opinion though.

saltn00b

you can only do so much with a FO tank. if they have the filtration to overstock it - than it should be fine. the cost to make that a coral tank would be astronomical and most people wouldnt know the difference. as for trophy fish, that Puffer is pretty incredible as it is quite rare to see them that large in captivity. there are also some banded cat sharks in there as well as a french angel easily 20" in diameter.

hatessushi

Originally Posted by anthonyjc
For some reason I really was not a big fan of it when I was in vegas a few months ago. I felt like they took the easy way out with no corals or inverts and just packed it with too many fish. Also there is no theme to the tank, no schooling fish or trophy fish just a hodge podge of pet store stuff. Just my opinion though.
I agree.
I would rather see a FOWLR then a FOWFC (fish only with fake coral). I really like the fish at the Vegas tanks. The Rain Forest Cafe at the MGM has a few FOWFC tanks, The Mandalay Bay has some also and they have that Shark Reef that has no liver rodk or corals. What really impresses me is the size and then I think about what I could do with tanks that size, any of them. They do have a lot of beautiful fish.
I see all those tanks about 3 or 4 times a year since my folks live there.

rhino

U should see the Atlantis resort in the Bahamas on Nassau island. The whole resort is built around a man made lagoon. In the 1st floor of the main hotel is wrapped by this lagoon on one side. It almost feels like you are underwater. It is amazing.

moneyman

been there. awesome. I must say that would be the best private public aquarium I've seen. i did not get to see the private section reserved for hotel guests though.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by saltn00b
hey azfish - i made it into your neck of the woods too, walking across hoover dam :p
So was that your first time at Hoover Dam? Pretty amazing, huh? I see it pretty often, but it still takes my breath away every time I go. To think they built that way back when there was really no "technology" is amazing!

saltn00b

yeap - a great feat of technology for sure! i was surprised they actually had jack hammers.
here are some pics , lake meade is at its record low, you can see the 87' wall of calcium deposit from when it was at its highest in 83.

saltn00b

i think you are mistaken money man - no way it is still curing - they never mentioned that in the tour

miamishrip

Originally Posted by rhino
U should see the Atlantis resort in the Bahamas on Nassau island. The whole resort is built around a man made lagoon. In the 1st floor of the main hotel is wrapped by this lagoon on one side. It almost feels like you are underwater. It is amazing.
I'm staying at ATLANTIS in 2 weeks!!!!! :joy:

moneyman

i think you are mistaken money man - no way it is still curing - they never mentioned that in the tour
I read that on Wikipedia. Prob an urban legend...

grumpygils

Originally Posted by MoneyMan
I read that on Wikipedia. Prob an urban legend...

The deal was that if they did a traditional pour, it would of taken something like 50 years to cure and cool down. The endothermic reaction would still be going and giving off heat. In order to avoid that, they poured it in 8X8 foot sections. They also ran pipes through all of the sections and pumped cold water through it to speed up the curing process.
The miracle of the discovery channel!
Mc

30-xtra high

you may or may not know this... but anybody who wants to can make an entry in wikipedia.
and i've gotta gree on the tank. thats crappy its an artificial reef. the puffer was friggin sweet, but still... artificials piss me off. if you don't have enough time to make a real reef, or at least all liverock... you shouldn't be in the hobby. and it wouldn't be that hard to pick 1,000 comunity fish.my guess is 500 of them are anthias, but still... i'm sure it looks cool.,
and kikass pics of hoover

richarl5

Wow, I'm pretty sure that even though there aren't any real corals in the tank that I would sit in front of it for an hour or two just looking at the different types of fish and their sizes! ***)

azfishgal

yeap - a great feat of technology for sure! i was surprised they actually had jack hammers.
here are some pics , lake meade is at its record low, you can see the 87' wall of calcium deposit from when it was at its highest in 83.
[/IMG]
You captured the dam very well. Great Pics! I don't think we will ever see lake meade full again, just don't see it happening, at least not in our lifetime. I hope I'm proven wrong some day. Glad you had a chance to see it. One of many great "have to see it" in America.