20 gallon sump bulid

aaronwilcox

Is there a benefit to have a 3 baffle bubble trap rather than a two. If I took out the 11 inch baffle would there be any difference?

acrylic51

A sump could be built a lot of different ways. There's no hard set rule that states you have to have baffles at all. Baffles do serve a purpose though. If your baffle heights are correct and spacing and flow are correct it could work for you. So to answer your question yes could work with 2 baffles.

vanlevy

Hi Everyone, I have not set up a reef tank in about 24 years, have recently decided to start one up again :) and would really appreciate some help. I am setting up a 55 gallon reef tank and am planning to set up a 20 gallon sump. Perhaps someone can explain to me in Aaron's (thanks Aaron) final design (https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/data/e/e9/e928108f_20GallonSumpDesign.png) why the pump outlet back to the aquarium is in the middle of the sump? It seems to me like the Protein Skimmer (i will have a Bubble Magus curve 5) is on the side with no flow actually being guided through it. I understand the need to protect the pods, but how does the current flow? oh yes, I also plan on having a Marineland c360 integrated into the filter process and was wondering how to set that up as well. Thanks for your help!