20g qt too small

peter1215

I just picked up and awsome Emperor from my lfs in full adult colors. hes about 5-6" and eventually going into my 210 DT. I was planning to qt in a 55g but the bottom plastic frame on the qt broke and cant find a replacement frame. I'm afreaid to use the tank without the bottom plastic frame. I do have a 20g QT thats fully cycled. do you think he will be stressed in a 20g long qt? If i notice that hes stressed i may have no option but to put him in the DT. Note my lfs held him for three weeks for me.
Pete

aquaknight

Discard any time the LFS "QT'ed" your fish. It is IMPOSSIBLE for any LFS to properly a fish.
That said, a 20gal QT would be rolling the dice. If you do get him and he does fine for the 4 weeks in QT, he might be fine. I wouldn't recommend it though. But if you do have to treat, mostly likely Ich, hypo for 4 weeks after the last spot is seen, and then held in QT for 4 weeks after that, possibly 10 weeks in QT would be terrible.
Indeed, it's not a good idea for you to use a glass tank without the bottom frame. A tank is designed to rest only on the plastic frame, NOT
the bottom glass. I guess keep him in your 20gal for now, keep the search up for a plastic frame, and if not, you may just have to purchase another 55gal.

sepulatian

The 20 long is perfectly fine for this fish. A 5-6 inch tang can be QT'd in a 20 long without issues. We all know their swimming habits. The angel will be fine.

j-ville

Two words: "Duct Tape". Will fix a 55 gallon top frame. Wrap it all the way around twice. I know it will work from experience, lol.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by J-Ville
http:///forum/post/2647412
Two words: "Duct Tape". Will fix a 55 gallon top frame. Wrap it all the way around twice. I know it will work from experience, lol.
It is the bottom frame. Not to be wise, but Two words: "water damage"