220 FOWL Tank Diary

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by peter1215
http:///forum/post/3235188
I would start treating with prazi and cupramine . you can also try a fresh water dip for a few minutes. I received my french angel today and dipped him in fresh water with prazi before he was put in the QT. I saw at least 5 flukes fall off yet he looked and ate fine in the LFS> good luck
Good call on the FW dip.

G

gtdarock

Hey guys ! Sorry for the late update, just busy with work.
"R", she does looks like she has ick,she was covered in white spots when I first put on the lights this evening. I tested the water Wed evening, and everything was fine. So I went ahead and dosed with Prazi and did a half a dose of Cupramine. Kirk,
her eyes look like there are some white spots of them. She is very alert,but still breathing a little heavy. I never did a freshwater dip, I'm very nervous to do it. So I came home early from work around 6 pm, so when I first put on the lights, I noticed that she was covered in white spots,so I went ahead and added the second half dose of Cupramine. After that, had some dinner,watched some wrestling, then I fell asleep in the living room. I woke up at 2 am,cuz of all the heavy winds from the storm in NY. So I took a look at the Queen,and no more white spots and still looking very alert. So I decided for some crazy reason to test the water at
2 in the morning. And I got a low P.H. , which I expected because of the copper, then to my surprise I got a reading of
1.0 !!! for both Ammonia and Nitrite. I couldn't believe it, so I did it again,same reading. So at 3 am, I had to do an emergency water change,luckily I had water already mixed up.
So I did the water change, redosed with Prazi, and added back some Cupramine for the amount I lost with the water change. So a few questions..... I did a 30 gal water change on the 55 QT, so on the Cupramine bottle, it says to add 16 drops for every 10.5 gallons. Then after 48 hours, add again.
So I went with with 48 drops= 31.5 gallons. So I was wondering do I have to add more again in 48 hours -? Or not,
because I'm only adding for the amount I lost in the water change. And last question, how in the world did I get a 1.0 for both Ammonia and Nitrite. I was only feeding her some flakes and a half a cube of Formula 1 and 2. I was thinking maybe because of the copper, cuz it makes the water quality very low-? CRAZY NIGHT guys, and at 4:30 am, I'm on SWF.com giving you guys updates

And on top of that, RFS is out of Passers, and they're not sure when they're getting more. So I need to hunt around and find one. I wish I had the Passer, so I could of treat both fish together.

I also have a few pics of the Queen, I took when I got home from work

R

rcreations

Sounds to me like the QT wasn't cycled all the way. Have you been ghost feeding when there are no fish in it? What I do with my QT is keep a damsel in there to keep the bio filtration going. Anyway, you're gonna have to do daily water changes until all the ammonia and nitrites are completely gone. Check the parameters a few hours after you feed.

peter1215

wow! thats a rough night! how long has the QT been running? In addition to the water changes, you can also add one of those additives that help cycle the tank and adds nitrifying bacteria. I would also do the water changes with water from my DT. I wouldnt add another fish until the tank is fully cycled.

crypt keeper

she looks like she has full blown ICH. With cupramine I would only dose what you have and then wait to add more if you dont see any signs of her getting better, but do water changes daily IMO to help control the trites. Obviously replace the copper as you go. Take out any filters you have in the bio wheel. Run the back of it empty. Most filters have carbon and this will take the copper out of the water.
Start pumping her full of selcon zoecon and garlic. This will help her build her immune system right now. Stay out of the room. Try not to move fast around her. This may add uneeded stress. Check on her only when you need to. If its a high traffic area then place a blanket over the tank. Again only checking on her if you need too.

R

rcreations

Did she come like that full of ich? I'm looking at these pictures and she doesn't just have a few dots, she's full of it! If she came like that... I gotta say... I wouldn't buy any more fish from that store. There's no excuse for sending out a fish in that condition.
Can you do me a favor and PM me the name of the store, so I won't buy from them in the future?

G

gtdarock

Petey, I had the QT running for months. But I don't think I was ghost feeding it. I totally forgot about that. Man, the QT is not cycled properly, that's all I need right now
peter1215,good idea on the additives, I just put some stability in there. Crypt, I just tested the water again, and I got a .25 for Nitrite and Ammonia. About to do another water change. As for copper, I have a .05 in there right now. She don't look good at all,very pale,just laying against the corner of the tank,breathing heavy. I took out all the cartridges from the bio-wheel last week when I added Prazi. I'll add Garlic, selcon,and zoecon right now also. The QT is in one of my basement closet, no traffic at all. Petey, she came in looking great,healthy,very alert and eating well, I'm not sure what happen. It sad to see the fish all lively and eating well, and now she's in a lot of pain. I'm hoping for the best

R

rcreations

Hope she makes it. I know how much you want a Queen Angel. Just keep the water params as good as you can, that's all you can do.

peter1215

GT , when this ordeal is over, you may want to call the shop i told you about in Woodbridge. They received a Passer angel last week. I saw it on Wednesday and he looks pretty good.
FYI, I always keep extra filter pads or sponges in my dt sump in case my qt crashes i just throw in the pads. whenever i do a water change in the dt, i put the water in the qt so its always cycled and no acclimation will be needed when the fish go from qt to DT.

G

gtdarock

Well guys, I want to say thanks a lot for your help and support.
But sadly, the Queen didn't make it. I knew things turned for the worse earlier today, when she looked very pale and was breathing very heavy. I'm very discouraged about this loss, because I know I tried everything to save her, and you guys gave my the best advice possible. So, I have a log book, where I write down all the fishes that I buy and where I got them from. And the ones currently in the tank, The Emperor,have him since last July-LFS, The Gold Puffer,have him since last Sept, -store in Florida,Hippo-have her since 12/08-LFS,Yellow tang,have him since last May, and the Purple and Humu,have them since May of last year,I got them from the place I got the Queen. So in theory, the last fish to go into my display was in September 09. The online store that I got the Queen from, I lost the following, "2"-Blue Throat Trigger,Skunk Clown,Niger,Lime Green Wrasse,"2"- Aussie Tusks,Blonde Naso,Emperor Angel,4 dwarf angels, and counting the Queen that I lost today makes it the third one from them !
So guys, I don't know if I should blame this place for all of my losses, cuz I'm sure there are people out there,that has had success of buying fishes from them. So I ask myself what's next -? I haven't been able to add a new fish to my display since September of last year. Seems like everyone else never makes the QT. I am so in love with the Queen Angel, that I'm willing to buy one again.
I don't know what to do guys -? Change where I shop -?
Just a whole bunch of bad luck with buying new live stock.

R

rcreations

I sent you a PM about the store. I've had good success with them, even bought a cleaner wrasse which is still doing fine 2 or so years later.
What I would do in your place, first of all run cuprisorb and get all the copper out of the QT. Then make sure it is cycled. Throw in a piece of raw shrimp and leave it in for 24 hours. Check the parameters and if ammonia and nitrites are at 0, then you're ready for fish. If not, wait until the tank is fully cycled.
Keep a hardy fish in the QT at all times to keep the tank cycled for when needed. I have a damsel in mine.

crypt keeper

man that really sucks. Like really really sucks. That fish was amazing looking. I cannot believe the amount of ICH that covered her entire head and fins. I dont know if you had any chance by not running copper from the start.
This gives you a chance to set things right. Do what R C said. Then go from there. I would place the fish in the qt after you acclimate them then start copper half dose right away. Man Im upset.

peter1215

Rcreations
I'm not sure i agree with removing the copper. If he does remove the cuppramine and puts in a fish in a week or so, how do you know the ich that killed the queen is still not in the tank? I think he has three choices: 1) leave the copper so it can kill of any remaining parasites. by then the tank should be cycled. 2) remove the copper, lower your salinity and leave the tank fallow for 3-4 weeks so the parasites can die off since it has no host or 3) empty and clean out the tank and start a new cycle .
GT
In regards to getting another queen, you've lost a lot of fish from the place you ordered the queen so i would look to find an lfs near you. There are plenty of shops in NY or NJ who carry queen angels. why bother shipping across the country in the winter, when you can pick one up locally for about the same price. I know many people order fish online but why add the additional stress if you dont have too!

ironeagle2006

GTD do what I have DONE built a reputation with a LFS that is second to NONE. I can call this guy up and BANG he will get me what ever I want when ever I WANT IT. Right now I have on ORDER AND IT WILL BE IN THIS WEEK AN AUSSIE HARLQUIEN TUSK ALREADY EATING FROZEN AND ALSO BEEN QT'ED SINCE HIS SUPPLIER DOES ALL THAT. I tore my qt down and sold it. I only deal with him and have never gotten a bad fish or anything like that from him.

R

rcreations

I don't think ich alone is what killed the fish. Ich does NOT kill fish that fast, I speak from personal experience. I think for him it was a combination of ich, ammonia, nitrites that did it. I've seen high ammonia and nitrites kill healthy fish in a matter of 48 hours. The number one priority here is to get that tank cycled and don't add any new fish until it is.

G

gtdarock

Petey, I'm sure the combination of high ammonia,nitrites and ick was doomsday for the Queen. What I'll do,is wait a little,leave the copper in,then run cuprisorb, do a water change, then go with raw shrimp. So the only reason the Ammonia and Nitrites were high because it wasn't cycled probably, could it be from all the meds that were put in -? Yea Crypt, I'm very sad also. Next time, I'll just go with a half dose right away, no more waiting around to see something.Peter1215, that's not a bad idea about finding a good LFS. Maybe I'll check out the one in Woodbridge.Ironeagle2006, I'll look into the LFS thing,thanks

crypt keeper

It was cycled properly IMO. It just wasnt maintained. correctly. You had this tank running empty then threw a hell of a lot at it. it made jump out of whack.

R

rcreations

No, I agree with Crypt. I'm sure it was initially cycled just fine. It's just that you didn't ghost feed or have any fish in it to keep it running. So when you put in a large fish all of a sudden, it started another cycle.

G

gtdarock

OH,make sense guys. So should I put in the raw shrimp this week -? Or wait a while -?