220 FOWL Tank Diary

aquaknight

Originally Posted by GTDAROCK
http:///forum/post/3237575
OH,make sense guys. So should I put in the raw shrimp this week -? Or wait a while -?
As long as there's copper in the tank, I wouldn't do it. (bacteria growth being prevented by the copper)

skate020

real sorry to hear about the queen:(
maybe do a 100% waterchange and add water from the DT then top off the water from the DT with RO water, so theres no cycle in the QT and then the DT will just be like getting a big waterchange. then the copper present will be ALOT less concentrated.
btw wats happening with the passer? you got him yet?

G

gtdarock

I C, I don't know what to do about the copper in the QT, because any fish that I get next,still needs to be treated with copper. I was thinking of doing a 30 gallon water change,from water from the display. Then put back the filter cartridges,wait a day, put in a piece of raw shrimp,leave it overnight, then check the readings the following day.I also have a very large piece of sponge from my DT to add to the QT. What do you guys think -?Yea Skate, very sad to see that one go. Its all part of the hobby. Nothing yet on the Passer, still on back order. It seems to me that they are hard to find.

R

rcreations

Personally, I'd get rid of the copper in the tank. Then throw in a piece of shrimp, take readings the next day, if the ammonia or nitrites are even a little high, wait until the tank is cycled properly. If it take one week or three weeks. Once it's cycled and it stays that way, then you can add a fish. After you add the fish treat with copper like it says on the instructions, half one day, half the next.
The thing with this hobby, is it doesn't let us cut corners. Whenever we do, we or the fish end up paying.

peter1215

GTD
I picked up today a Fowlers and a Dussmieri tang from another nice lfs in NJ. These guys also ship. LMK if you want the link when you're ready for more fish.
Pete

G

gtdarock

Petey, I'll do a water change tonight with water from the DT, then put back the carbon in the QT. Then I'll throw in a piece of raw shrimp tomorrow night. Then I'll take it from there, thanks as always.
Peter1215, what is a Fowlers tang-? You can PM me the place, I'll browse around:) Thanks

R

rcreations

I'd wait until most of the copper is gone before putting in the shrimp. Like Aqua mentioned, copper prevents bacteria growth.

G

gtdarock

Peter1215, wow that fish is a beauty,good luck man !
Petey, I did a water change on the QT two nights ago, with water from the display. I'll check the readings when I go home, then I'll put in the shrimp. I'm also setting up a 20 gallon QT, for some dwarfs. Nothing yet on the Passer or finding another Queen

peter1215

Thansk GTD ....btw i just came from the shop in woodbridge and Will said his supplier has a large 8" Passer if youre interested. He still has the medium size Passr in the shop but i believe one of his clients is going to purchase it.

G

gtdarock

Peter, I got your PM, thanks. I think an 8in Passer is too large for me, I rather go with a smaller one. I'll probably give them a call tomorrow. These Passer's are hard to find. I really need to do something about my TANG situation. I have 3 of them, a Hippo for almost 2 years - 5 inches and a Yellow and Purple for almost 2 years, both at 4 inches. Problem is, that the Yellow busy chases the Purple around, and stay in his cave, only comes out to eat. I need to add another Tang to balance out everything. This has been happening for a long time now. Any suggestions guys -? Thanks

ironeagle2006

I have a Sailfin that I swear is the Freaking DEVIL himself. Sucker just killed a Aussie Harley Tusk TONIGHT that was 3 inches longer than it was also tore up a 6 in Powder Blue Tang tonight and then went after all 3 of my Angels. The Powder is in my nano for the night getting antibotics to help the wounds. The Sailfin goes to my LFS were he has someone that wants it seems they have a large tank with a few triggers and want a Tang for it. The Tusk will be replaced next month Again hopefully the next one will not get 2 inches taken out of his side.

crypt keeper

Get rid of the Yellow. Not worth it IMO and they are just butt heads.
If you ran copper in your QT you killed most of the if not all of your bacteria anyway.

G

gtdarock

That sucks Iron, wow a Sailfin did that, I thought they were mellow. Good luck get another Tusk. Crypt, either though the Yellow is a bad ass to the Purple, I love his color man. If things get really worse, he's a goner. I thought if I added another tang, he would stop. As for the QT, I checked the readings tonight, both Ammonia and Nitrite are 0, PH 8.2 and Nitrate is at 40. I just put in a piece of Raw Shrimp, and I'll check back the readings tomorrow

ironeagle2006

Not this one. Put it to you this way my SFE came out when my wife was getting ready for work and the Sailfin attacked it then went after my Passer again. My silfin is not a happy fish right now sitting in a critter keeper in Solitary after that one.

peter1215

OMG, a Sailfin tang attacking a PasserAngel!! that tang is definitely a terrorist..I would get him out of there in a hurry. Put him in a tank with a queen or undulated trigger...see if they put up with his !@#$% !

ironeagle2006

From what my LFS is telling me the people that want it have a 2 inch CT and a HUMA HUMA trigger about 3 inches long. Their tank is 240 gallons and they wanted a Physco tang well they are GETTING ONE.

G

gtdarock

That Sailfin needs to hangout with some triggers

So guys, should I add another tang to the mix, maybe the Yellow will leave the Purple alone after that-?

ironeagle2006

Busy day for me also Yesterday had to take SATAN aka my sailfin to my LFS. When I got there who I get along with great goes ok lets put it in with this fish that has attacked Everything we have tried to house with it a Sargent Major Damsel about 2 inches long.
After acclimation the 2 were intorduced the Sarge major went after the Sailfin like the owner thought it would 2 seconds later the Sargent Major was JUMPING TO THE NEXT TANK.