240 gal fish list

mcbdz

OK, i am posting this now, because I know it is going to be so hard for me to decide on this list. It will be this Spring before I really get to start stocking. This is going to be a FOWLER, at least for the first year, and then I will decide if I will want to change it to reef. I want to try some of the fish I haven't been able too. It's RR with sump and fuge. Don't know actual size of these yet, cause I haven't put them up yet, but they are large. I love lots of color and TANGS.

Here goes:
pair of true percs
Midas Blenny/Canary wrasse
Hippo tang(already have 1 1/2")
Foxface(already have but may not add her?)
Would love some anthias(Lyretail fav)how many?
copperbanded butterflyfish
3 Heniochus diphreutes
Bicolor or coral beauty angel
? cleaner gobies
Green mandrine
How many tangs? Here are the ones I'm lookin' at. Which would go in with my hippo
Whitecheek
Mimc
one of the Naso?Has anyone had one of the unicorns?
Clown
I.O. Sailfin
I know I can't have all these, that is why I need help. And if you could say why that would be great. Also if you have other ideas they are welcome.
Please

kjr_trig

I am starting a 240 in a few weeks and am planning a couple of Tangs. Would love to do a Sohal, but am a bit nervous about their aggressive reputation. I am kind of leaning toward an Achilles again (had one for 6 years and loved it) and maybe an Orange Shoulder or Naso (which I have also kept). IMO any tangs should do well in a 240, Tang compatibility can alway be interesting, it seems like first in usually "runs the show", so I will try to put the more aggressive in last...For reference other tank mates for mine will be Triggers (the less evil kind), big Angels, Eel, and Porky Puffer....Sorry, I am not the best person to comment on Butterflies on the list.

reefiness

Looking at this list I am a little worried seeing a butterfly fish with so many other big aggressive (while eating) fish. This may be a problem as the butterfly may not get enough to eat. Although I have never actually kept a butterfly, so i would seek more feedback from those who may have keep butterfly fish in a similar set up.

mcbdz

This list is a work in progress, but I would love to beable to have a butterfly. This one is my favorite, but if someone has a better suggestion or thinks it just isn't a good idea then I'll rethink it.

mcbdz

Ok, so does anyone know if you will have a problem with a midas blenny and a yellow wrasse in the same tank?

How many lyertail anthias could I keep with this list?
How many tangs would you try with this list?

xeniaman

I have a yellow, hippo, and white faced tangs in my 240 reef and they get along pretty well. Sometimes the white faced goes after the yellow. I have had my white faced for 4 years and is about 8 inches, I have yet to see such a spectacular tang in person.

mcbdz

Originally Posted by xeniaman
I have a yellow, hippo, and white faced tangs in my 240 reef and they get along pretty well. Sometimes the white faced goes after the yellow. I have had my white faced for 4 years and is about 8 inches, I have yet to see such a spectacular tang in person.
Thanks.

What else do you have in your tank? Also having a 240g with tangs do you feel that is the limit or could you keep more then 3 tangs?

mcbdz

Ok so, do this sound good?
And add in this order?
2-true percula clowns
1-yellow wrasse or some kind of small wrasse
1 Neon goby
1-Midas blenny
1-blue hippo tang(remember, already have her and she needs to be upgraded)
1-Copperbanded butterfly
3-Heniochus diphreutes
(3-7)- Lyertail anthias
1-Minic tang
1-Coral beauty or flame angel
1-I.O. sailfin tang
1- other tang-White cheek, clown, or naso
1-Green mandrine or possible mated pair.
Please give any and all advice, I plan on this taking a very long time to stock.

xeniaman

I will be adding another tang, but it's hard to decide what I can add with the species of tangs I have. I think 4 would be okay in a 240, I just might have to do more frequent water changes. Right now I do 25 gallon water changes once a month.

xeniaman

I think your stocklist sounds great, a very interesting blend. I'm leaning toward a Naso for my fourth tang, absolutly stunning when they reach adulthood.