240g in wall shallow reef build

jpa0741

I have already posted some pics of my new project, but I thought I would start a new official build thread.
Tank: 240g acrylic 96"x36"x16"h
Sump/fuge: 100 rubbermaid stock tank
List of equipment, some I already have some I am still deciding. If you have any other ideas on something, please let me know.
Lights: 3-250w mh, 4-4' vho
skimmer: Octopus TDNW-300
Return pump: Sequence Reeflo Dart
Calcium reactor: geo
Heaters: I don't know yet
Controller: I don't know yet. (need some help on this one)
Power heads: Tunze or vortech
These are some of the things I can think of for now.
Been working all week cleaning out the laundry room and moving elec. lines from the wall. Cut the hole cut today and plan on going to pick up some wood to start building the stand.
Here are the first set of pics, will post more when stand is done.

Thanks for looking and stay tuned.

bhfccsr198

just a thought maybe you should look at t-5 with indivual reflectors cheaper bulbs last alot long and no chiller needed and with the depth of ya tank could def keep everything

jpa0741

Originally Posted by bhfccsr198
http:///forum/post/2473786
just a thought maybe you should look at t-5 with indivual reflectors cheaper bulbs last alot long and no chiller needed and with the depth of ya tank could def keep everything
To me nothing beats the shimmer of mh. I won't need a chiller as the top will be all open and can add as many fans as needed. Plus it is in the basement of a house with ac.
Here are a couple pics of what I got done last night. I will probaly finish the center supports and top tomorrow.

jpa0741

Ok. Minor set back. I was told treated lumber was not a good idea, and after some research agreed. So I had to start over. Here is what I was able to get done today. Hopefully get the plywood on top and painted, and tank set in place this week.

littlebuck

treated lumber lets off the chemicals they use. When they let off the chemical inside it could do some harm to you or your tank.
Looks good cant wait to see updated pics.

jpa0741

Originally Posted by ronadondoh
http:///forum/post/2476188
looking good. i am getting redy to set up a 240 as well. why is it not a good idea to use treated lumber?
Not so much the chemicals, but when it dries it twists and cracks and aslo will become unlevel.

jpa0741

Originally Posted by GrouperGenius
http:///forum/post/2476701
Is that the tank requiem was selling last month? If it is, I'm glad someone is putting it to good use.

Yes it is.
Well I thought it might be a good idea to see if the tank held water . All is good. I plan to order the equipment that will be piped into the plumbing (skimmer, return pump, uv) by the end of the week. This will give me a couple weeks with out much to do. I will probaly just repair and trim the wall.

lion_crazz

I am very interested to see the entire process of this tank unfold as well! Thanks for posting the pics for us.

groupergenius

This is going to be an awsome build.

I wanted that tank in a bad way. Just couldn't see spending the extra $400 in fuel to go to Ohio.
That room the majority of the tank is in, is it the garage? The top down view on that tank will be incredible.