240g in wall shallow reef build

jpa0741

Originally Posted by iyachtuxivm
http:///forum/post/2954388
I like the Kole tangs, one of my favorite smaller tangs.

Already the wifes favorite. My plan was to keep him in the frag tank until he out grew it and sell or trade him in and add another small tang. But it looks like when he out grows it he will probably end up in the dispaly.

king_neptune

I was curious if you could tell a little bit about a typical maintenance session. what kinds of chemicals/additives you do. how you test ect. what kind of preventative maintance do you do as well.

jpa0741

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/2954844
I was curious if you could tell a little bit about a typical maintenance session. what kinds of chemicals/additives you do. how you test ect. what kind of preventative maintance do you do as well.
Sure.
1. I run a mag float over the glass every 2-3 days.
2. Weekly water change of 40g
3. 2 part dosing on timers for cal and alk
4. Test alk once a week or. If alk looks good I usually stop there. If it is off I will check cal and mag.
5. Usually check mag and bring back up to specs once a month with home made.
6. About once a month I will check trates and phos. Although most test kits we use don't tell us crap about phos IMO.
7. Change carbon and phosban in reactor once a month.
That is really it. The best way to manage your tank is to be in tune with it. I can usually tell if something is off after looking at the tank less then a minute.

jpa0741

Ok my reef budget is totally blown probably for the whole year in just this weekend and I still need to order new bulbs.
I ordered the Reef Keeper Lite controller with most of the goodies. I also went on a zoa spree today. I picked up Everlasting Gobstoppers, Nucuelar Greens, 12 frags of Japan deepwater zoas. These things are insane. I saw a few pics of these showing up lately and is nice to see some new stuff hitting the market. I also picked up a couple new rics. These rics are very rare and have never seen anything even close available. The person I got them from has many colonies of pure stunners. I only got 2 this time but will be getting more in the future.
Now this was just a tease post so keep watching and I will try to get some pics up tomorrow if everything opens up.

iyachtuxivm

Its a toss up I just got a new camera that could have paid for half of a bigger tank
. Not that thats all that special. I was using a kodak 3.0MP camera.
Now I have a fujifilm 15mp camera still a point and shoot but it has many more settings. I can actually adjust the white ballance and exposure.

jpa0741

As promised. I didn't get any good pics of the rics yet they aren't real happy yet from the move. Don't mind all the diatoms. It is just going through the stage. I just setup everything in here a couple weeks ago.

C

cmaxwell39

Nice new additions. Everything looks really good. Hope it all grows out well for you.

jpa0741

I plan to start Vitamin c dosing. I just orderd it and should have it in about 5 days or so. I will document here how I am dosing along with results. I will also have before and after pics. I am doing it mainly for zoa growth and health. I have not seen many post regarding any improvement for SPS.

I love your tank... your lfs must be amazing do they have an online store? I live on the east coast so going to them might be out of reach.
And to anser everyones question about how much his tank cost... lol it is a personal choice not to say but I did alot of work for a friend helpping him set up his custom 220 and it was not as loaded with bells and wistles and he could have bought a new suv with the money but I am glad he did not it only looked 1/2 as good as this one.
wow I hope my 125 comes out 1/20 as good as your tank

redsea

Originally Posted by jpa0741
http:///forum/post/2956300
As promised. I didn't get any good pics of the rics yet they aren't real happy yet from the move. Don't mind all the diatoms. It is just going through the stage. I just setup everything in here a couple weeks ago.

looks awesome!