250 conversion

mopardwh

Well I have a really great 250 reef aquarium. Love it. However I bought it used and the furniture is kind of fugly. The wood has been painted black and is peeling, the hood has odd holes, nails, rot, mold etc. So I'm swapping it out for a nice new 300 and planning to refinish the 250 furniture and clean it up to start from scratch with an aggressive tank. I have no experience with aggressive fish. Since I already have 8k + into the reef now, I'd like to make this a budget slow build.

To start, I'm interested to hear about some cheap aquascape ideas. Making your own live rock so to speak, and maybe sand? Also, what about plants too? I've always wondered why any tank would be fish only with live rock, and not try some other species. I would like to get away with a little more than FOWLR. No ornamental crustations or anything, but I'll definitely throw in some mushrooms etc. One thing I really want, is to avoid the need for a lot of hand work inside the tank. I know its unavoidable at times but the reef requires it often. So specific equipment/sump ideas would be appreciated. Now for the inhabitant ideas.

I really want a scorpion/toad/frogfish of some sort, or even 2.
I've always wanted a shark as well. I realize the size restraint but I could literally build the aquascape specifically for one. Maybe a bamboo shark? What inhabitants would work with one?
Porcupine puffer. From what I understand, I believe it would work well with both previous.
Small sting ray, maybe?
Some type of eel.

In a perfect world, I would have these and maybe a couple more. Open for suggestions. I like panther groupers but would it pick on scorp?

Just brainstorming and looking for your experienced thoughts. Please and thank you.

mauler

A coral cat(Atelomycterus marmoratus) or a marbled cat shark( atelomycterus macleayi) would be better since they stay small by shark standards anyways at around 2' for rays a haller's stingray (urobatis halleri) is a good Ray that again stays small compared to others at around 12" disc size.
A zebra eel would make a good tank mate there supposed to be very mellow and laid back eels.
Puffers have a rep for pecking at sharks and rays eyes and ultimately killing them so I would look at tangs for possible tank mates.
As far as rock goes if you really do want a shark and Ray your gonna want to put most of your rock in your sump to give them as much swimming room as possible I'm also curious as to what your tank demensions are?

mopardwh

Great info.
I'm also curious as to what your tank demensions are?
Being rectangular probably isn't the best for sharks or rays but its what I have and Im hoping to make the best of it. Off the top of my head, I wanna say its 7' x 2'?

Any thoughts on compatibility with a stonefish or scorpion?

Last edited:

mauler

A rectangle isn't necessarily bad it's really only bad for the open water sharks like black tips it will be fine for these.

I would say no if it's a venomous one since all it would take is your shark or Ray swimming over it once for them to die.

1guydude

I'd go with the Rays skates and eels. Puffers and box fish pick at lionfish antenna not sharks. Shark r top predators. Mintatius grouper is one I would add personally.

U can diy rock out of concrete and rock salt.to.make it porous. Never done it.myself
Hths
D

mauler

I'd go with the Rays skates and eels. Puffers and box fish pick at lionfish antenna not sharks. Shark r top predators. Mintatius grouper is one I would add personally.
D
Actually triggers, puffers and some large angels are known to pick at sharks and rays and possibly kill them. Not every shark is an apex predator cat sharks are not aggressive and neither are rays. When choosing tank mates for such animals your concern isn't about the shark or Ray attacking other fish it's the opposite.

1guydude

Ok I stand corrected. Depends on the type of shark the owner gets.
If I was to get a shark and a 1000gal system which prob isn't enough imo... I wouldn't get bottom dwelling sharks like dogfish. Which r the ones prob more suitable for aquarium life anyways.
D