253 gallon tank arrived

leishman

It will be a month before it sees any water, but here are a couple of pictures.
Tank

Glasscages bulk heads (for 1.5" drains)

New home for tank

In wall location (7" will stick out into room)

Old tank in relation to new location

Right now it is an expensive toy shelf in the living room!

leishman

Thanks Mark.
It will be a few weeks before I can do the move. Still got a lot going on with the 1200 sq feet we just added to the house. I don't have the stones to ask the wife if I can set up the tank before I tile the bathroom!

nm reef

Leishman...first and foremost...thanks for sharing your new tank!!! Looks like a beauty.Secondly...be sure to keep us updated. I'd love to see that thing established.
In regard to the pics not showing...things are a little different here. To save bandwidth(or some tech reason) img tags have been dis-abled. I accessed your pics just fine via the links. Looks just as beautiful either way I'm sure.
Got any specifics on your plans for lighting and circulation? Enquiring minds want to know...

leishman

It is 65x36x25, (front pannel only is low iron glass), and has 2x1.5" drains that will run to the sump (~75g). Returns from the sump will be a Mak4 and a Iwaki 40RLXT each will go it's own 1" seaswirl. There will be 2x6100 TUNZE Streams in the tank for most of the flow.
Tha Ca reactor is dual stage, (built by Geofloors).
Lighting will be DIM to start off. It will be 2x250DE ReefOptixIIIs w AB 10ks. I will also run 3x140w (60") VHOs. I want to add a DE400w pendant when they are out and tested, OR, a large Luminarc reflector w/a 400w se bulb.
My skimmer will also be under rated to start off. I will be running a Euroreef CS8-2+ (it's 2" taller than the CS8-2, got it cheep from h2otropicals.com, (euroreef owned), because it was not a standard height).
The tank will be all SPS w/a shallow CC bed.

leishman

CC because thats what's in my 110 right now. I don't want bare bottom, don't like the look. Don't want sand as I want to have megga flow rates inside the tank.
I will rinse the cc in the move and add more.
Just my choice, unless someone can convince me to go another way.

messiahbob

I recently switched from my CC to LS. The CC was a big source of nitrates and held so much detrius. Since the change i have lowered my nitrates 20ppm and still dropping every water change. My cyano problem has also went away since i made that change (knock on wood)

brooklyn johnny

Congrats you crazy Brit!!!! What a sweet tank this is and what a great job glasscages did. This thing was built like a brick ****house and strained five guys moving it about twenty feet with no stairs (me being one)... It's eurobraced all around with no center brace making it even more impressive. The low iron glass makes a big difference on thick-glass tanks like this (take a look at the green hue in the first picture looking through the bottom).
MessiahBob many sps people are moving to barebottom tanks for a few reasons, and those who believe in that but don't like the look are adding a small amount of coarse substrate (like CC) for aesthetic purposes (like Steve Weast's monster). It is very shallow (just enough to cover) and cleaned regularly on top of being blown around by the thousands of gallons per hour of flow...
I remember the beginning stages... Rik is a true reefer... "Hey, I could put a tank where the washer and dryer are!"

leishman

I thought you were out of the country John! I found a good deal on the 6100's, call me I'll give you the guys name.
The wife is going out of town with the kids for a few days in a couple of weeks so I will pull a couple of all-nighters on the stand, then I will have to rally the troops w/pizza and beer to get this glass box into the basement and into place. I can't take too long as I have a buyer who is waiting for the 110.