27 dead at Connecticut Elementary School

scsinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/180#post_3504607
My point is simple. A shotgun has a lower probablity rate of killing a massive amount of people in a semi-confined area than a semi-automatic weapon that can hold 30 or more rounds of ammunition at any given time. Granted, if you had a sawed-off shotgun, your spread pattern would be greater, as well as if you were using 8-shot as opposed to buck shot. But you still maintain a larger death rate with the semi-auto weapon. Why is it that these last four or five incidents involved an assault weapon as the primary weapon? If someone can do the same carnage with a shotgun or semi-auto handgun, why not just use those instead? It has absolutely nothing to do with "feel good politics". It's plain math and statistics. An assault weapon can kill more people than any other weapon because of the volume of ammo, and the speed at which you can shoot it. In these scenarios, there's really not that must difference between a full auto and a semi auto. I can empty a 30-round mag in an AR-15 in 10-15 seconds. In full auto mode, I can cut that time down to 3 - 5 seconds. Are you going to say that 7 - 10 seconds is going to save more lives in a scenario such as what occurred in Newtown? Reducing the firepower will reduce the number of casualties in these massive shootings. Unless a total ban occurred, which any logical and rational person in this country knows would NEVER happen, you will continue to have incidents like this. However, that goes to say that even those may be reduced when these individuals may have second thoughts because they don't have that assault weapon firepower to give them that "invulnerabilty feeling".
How do you address this issue you speak? Where do you even begin? I explained to you how difficult it is to diagnose mental health issues. I explained how several "triggers" can set off even the most timid and mild-mannered person. This kid NEVER exhibited any violent tendencies in his 20 years of living. No one was ever threatened by this kid, no "alarms" were set off. If the mother had an inkling of perception that this kid had violent tendencies, do you honestly think she'd teach him to use these weapons she owned, and have them available for him to take anytime he wanted?
And my point is also simple. My point is that there are a lot of weapons "between" shotguns and semi-automatic "assault rifles" that are not part of the discussion here, and that's where the slippery slope comes in. It is incredibly easy to carry several handguns, each with 15+ round magazines in them that can do just as much damage. Therefore, my point is that if you are going to look at "assault rifles" because you can carry 30 rounds of ammunition in them, then you can't logically ignore the other means to do essentially the same thing.
Lest we forget that the columbine massacre took place without the use of "assault rifles," rather, it took place with 9mm handguns and pump shotguns. I maintain that the fact that only 15 people were killed does not make it a lesser tragedy than the 26 who were killed at Sandy Hook.
Furthermore, in Columbine, if I recall correctly, there were something like 100 handgun rounds discharged and a couple dozen shotgun shells discharged, and they didn't need "high capacity magazines" to do it.
Ergo, if we respond to these events by focusing and banning the weapons used, we, just as a result of Columbine and Sandy Hook will have banned handguns, shotguns, and "assault rifles." There isn't a whole lot left. That's the slippery slope.
As far as the mental thing, you are still focused on only a couple of approaches to this situation: Mental Illness and Gun Control. What I have been trying to explain is that the root cause of this situation goes beyond these easy answers. This is a society problem. Banning weapons or other quick easy answers don't solve that problem, they only conceal it.
By the way, I'm not interested in saving lives by minimizing the number of deaths. I'd much rather see these acts not committed in the first place. To do otherwise would be like saying that "Columbine wasn't so bad because at least it was only 15 students that time instead of 26." I just don't believe gun control is an effective or comprehensive way to accomplish it.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/180#post_3504582
There's over 300 milion guns currently owned by American gun owners. You honestly think they could enact a law that stated that all those guns would have to immediately brought in to be destroyed? Talk about a revolution. The only thing they could do now is restrict who could purchase those types of weapons moving forward. They could restrict the sale of large magazines. They could go REAL far and restrict who could purchase semi-auto handguns with a capacity of more than 10 rounds. No one would be restricting your 2nd Amendment rights if they limited you to purchasing shotguns, bolt-action rifles, or six-round revolvers. Could you still kill a bunch of people in one setting with those weapons? Yes. But the number would be significantly lower.
Dude.....are you for real.....It's time you pass the pipe so we can all smoke what your smoking......Again some whack job your not going to discourage by these actions.....As pointed out numerous times it's not the guns that are evil it's people.....Who do you suppose is going to do all this "policing" your calling for.......Dang it's bad enough the crap I have to go through just to keep my hazmat endorsement on my license to work.....I forgot your an Obama fan!!!!!!

uneverno

Quote:
By the way, I'm not interested in saving lives by minimizing the number of deaths. I'd much rather see these acts not committed in the first place. To do otherwise would be like saying that "Columbine wasn't so bad because at least it was only 15 students that time instead of 26." I just don't believe gun control is an effective or comprehensive way to accomplish it.
I disagree that gun control is not potentially effective. I agree that it is not comprehensive.
Greater access to mental health care is a potential, though far from comprehensive, help as well.
All in all though, both solutions ignore fundamental cause in favor of hiding behind the truth. Bandages cover wounds, they don't heal or prevent them.
The curiosity is that these situations occur, by and large, in America.
Why?
What is the difference between ours and other cultures, that we foster the monsters who commit these crimes?
Until we can answer that question, any proposed solution is, at best, temporary and, at worst, politically expedient.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSInet http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/200#post_3504622
And my point is also simple. My point is that there are a lot of weapons "between" shotguns and semi-automatic "assault rifles" that are not part of the discussion here, and that's where the slippery slope comes in. It is incredibly easy to carry several handguns, each with 15+ round magazines in them that can do just as much damage. Therefore, my point is that if you are going to look at "assault rifles" because you can carry 30 rounds of ammunition in them, then you can't logically ignore the other means to do essentially the same thing.
Lest we forget that the columbine massacre took place without the use of "assault rifles," rather, it took place with 9mm handguns and pump shotguns. I maintain that the fact that only 15 people were killed does not make it a lesser tragedy than the 26 who were killed at Sandy Hook.
Furthermore, in Columbine, if I recall correctly, there were something like 100 handgun rounds discharged and a couple dozen shotgun shells discharged, and they didn't need "high capacity magazines" to do it.
Ergo, if we respond to these events by focusing and banning the weapons used, we, just as a result of Columbine and Sandy Hook will have banned handguns, shotguns, and "assault rifles." There isn't a whole lot left. That's the slippery slope.
As far as the mental thing, you are still focused on only a couple of approaches to this situation: Mental Illness and Gun Control. What I have been trying to explain is that the root cause of this situation goes beyond these easy answers. This is a society problem. Banning weapons or other quick easy answers don't solve that problem, they only conceal it.
You can't change the progresses of our society. We no longer live in the age of just three TV channels, one movie house, and the favorite pasttime was hanging out in the mall. We now live in a digital age, with access to virtually anything at the touch of a button. Youth now spends their weekend nights on Twitter, Facebook, and any other kind of online social medium. When I was a teenager, I rarely stayed at home. My two kids are content on hanging out in their rooms, communicating with friends on their computers. Go to any store, look in any car and what do you see? People with a cell phone stuck in their ear, or walking around tapping on a keyboard or phone screen.
And please don't inject the thought that bringing back Christianity or religion back into the minds of all Americans would make some dramatic change in the attitudes of people.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/200#post_3504629
Dude.....are you for real.....It's time you pass the pipe so we can all smoke what your smoking......Again some whack job your not going to discourage by these actions.....As pointed out numerous times it's not the guns that are evil it's people.....Who do you suppose is going to do all this "policing" your calling for.......Dang it's bad enough the crap I have to go through just to keep my hazmat endorsement on my license to work.....I forgot your an Obama fan!!!!!!
Dude, get a life. The world doesn't revolve around whether you can light up some beer can with 400 rounds from a AR-15. There's more important things in life than worrying you can't "stock up" for some fictitious revolution your inept brain thinks could occur in this country. People are dying left and right just because you have some weird interpretation of what the 2nd Amendment intended as far as having "arms".

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneverno http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/180#post_3504617
As a matter of fact, both my parents were career teachers and I spent a part of my life teaching as well.
I'm completely baffled as to what you're driving at.
Then you are clueless. Once upon a time children were expected to do as an adult placed in charge of them told them to do. If you had an issue you raised it RESPECTFULLY. If someone of my generation had talked to their parents or a teacher the way kids today do on a regular basis there would have been a royal ass whipping in store.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/200#post_3504649
Then you are clueless. Once upon a time children were expected to do as an adult placed in charge of them told them to do. If you had an issue you raised it RESPECTFULLY. If someone of my generation had talked to their parents or a teacher the way kids today do on a regular basis there would have been a royal ass whipping in store.
So violence begats violence. What does a good "ass whipping" do to the mental aspects of that child just because he/she didn't say "Yes Sir." or told you to "f%$%&K off"? Think maybe it could result in more violent tendencies towards authority figures? What kind of mental scars are left when a parent beats their kid with a belt because they were disrespectful in their definition of the term?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/200#post_3504661
So violence begats violence. What does a good "ass whipping" do to the mental aspects of that child just because he/she didn't say "Yes Sir." or told you to "f%$%&K off"? Think maybe it could result in more violent tendencies towards authority figures? What kind of mental scars are left when a parent beats their kid with a belt because they were disrespectful in their definition of the term?
A spanking and a beating are two different things. A child should say "Yes sir" and be polite to others and to regognize authority and treat them with respect. There are indeed better ways of raising children than spanking, but a spanking won't scar the child. Sorry but having a kid screaming "f%$%&K off" to their parents needs a good slap in the chops, a popped lip is called for at that point. My full grown children wouldn't dare speak to me that way, and I better NEVER hear my grandchildren do so.

dragonzim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/200#post_3504661
It seems that society was a lot more polite in general when it was PC to be allowed to spank your kids. I'm not advocating an all out ass whipping, but a firm reminder in the form of a few smacks on the butt to let kids know who is in charge. My generation was probably the last that this was socially acceptable for and now the younger generation is the one that seems to be causing all this trouble.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/200#post_3504667
A spanking and a beating are two different things. A child should say "Yes sir" and be polite to others and to regognize authority and treat them with respect. There are indeed better ways of raising children than spanking, but a spanking won't scar the child. Sorry but having a kid screaming "f%$%&K off" to their parents needs a good slap in the chops, a popped lip is called for at that point. My full grown children wouldn't dare speak to me that way, and I better NEVER hear my grandchildren do so.
So we've gone from sticking a bar of soap into a child's mouth for saying a "dirty word", to a "good slap in the chops"? Again, violence begats violence.

2quills

Bionic if you could have it your way we'd have a nation full of over sensitive individuals who have absolutely no idea how to defend themselves in a world full of violence. Or the balls to do so if they had to. I've just about become convinced that you are one of the most anti american person I've ever heard. With your insessive need to feel right and make a point you make yourself sound and seem completely full of crap. Ive nevee heard anyone who claims to own a cache of weapons speak the way you do against them.

reefraff

Quote:
Why is it that as schools stop administering swats and parents have been intimidated into never spanking or in many cases correcting their child the instances of kids or very young adults snapping has increased greatly? Kinda blows your argument out of the tub. I had 2 brothers ahead of me so I only got it with a belt once or twice but I saw them get lit up with belts or switches plenty. Neither of them ever went on killing rampages or even beat their women, accept in self defense once LOL!

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/200#post_3504694
Bionic if you could have it your way we'd have a nation full of over sensitive individuals who have absolutely no idea how to defend themselves in a world full of violence. Or the balls to do so if they had to. I've just about become convinced that you are one of the most anti american person I've ever heard. With your insessive need to feel right and make a point you make yourself sound and seem completely full of crap. Ive nevee heard anyone who claims to own a cache of weapons speak the way you do against them.
That's because I don't go into some nonsensical rant because I think I should own a weapon "just because it's available". I live by common sense. I see the atrocities that type of weapon has caused in recent history, and the only solution the gun proponents have is arm people with even MORE weapons, on the premise that we can just shoot our way back to normalcy. You don't get it. There's no logical reason to own an assault-type weapon. Rationalizing it by saying you like to shoot for sport or maybe for huting (why any hunter would need a 30-round clip to go hunting is beyond me), doesn't cut it. I like driving 100MPH down the highway to get where I'm going faster. Why can't I do that? Why restrict my speed? I can handle a vehicle at that speed. I promise.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/200#post_3504701
Why is it that as schools stop administering swats and parents have been intimidated into never spanking or in many cases correcting their child the instances of kids or very young adults snapping has increased greatly? Kinda blows your argument out of the tub. I had 2 brothers ahead of me so I only got it with a belt once or twice but I saw them get lit up with belts or switches plenty. Neither of them ever went on killing rampages or even beat their women, accept in self defense once LOL!
I don't know reef. Let's just start beating the crap out of every kid when they misbehave or disrespect their elders. Beat them senseless. That'll teach them. But when the boys grow up to be 6'2" and 250 lbs., and they decide to beat the holy crap out of you because they decided they wanted to get even, don't come crying to me.

2quills

No I get It. You are the one who keeps making this about assult weapons. Forget about the other weapons. Your arguments would make far more sense if you were here talking about banning all guns. But you're not. I think thats what you are not getting. Cause I bet ya that I know a few guys who are much more proficient with hand guns then most folks here could even dream about being with an assult rifle. But forget about the bigger picture here. The rest of is will wait while you keep on keeping on with your rants about the idea that there is no logical reason to own an AR. You obviously like to rant and carry on in these th reads repeating yourself over and over again to folks obviously dont agree with your thought process. Wheres the logic in that?

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/200#post_3504737
I don't know reef. Let's just start beating the crap out of every kid when they misbehave or disrespect their elders. Beat them senseless. That'll teach them. But when the boys grow up to be 6'2" and 250 lbs., and they decide to beat the holy crap out of you because they decided they wanted to get even, don't come crying to me.
Again, how can you continue to make the stupid argument when the facts are not on your side? As we have moved away from punishing our kids (whether by spanking or grounding for a week or whatever) Kids are getting more violent.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/200#post_3504738
No I get It. You are the one who keeps making this about assult weapons. Forget about the other weapons. Your arguments would make far more sense if you were here talking about banning all guns. But you're not. I think thats what you are not getting. Cause I bet ya that I know a few guys who are much more proficient with hand guns then most folks here could even dream about being with an assult rifle. But forget about the bigger picture here. The rest of is will wait while you keep on keeping on with your rants about the idea that there is no logical reason to own an AR. You obviously like to rant and carry on in these th reads repeating yourself over and over again to folks obviously dont agree with your thought process. Wheres the logic in that?
I keep repeating myself because you don't get the obvious. I harp about the assault weapons because they are capable of causing the carnage that occurred in Newtown, and several other recent multiple killings. Can you use other weapons that have the capability of causing the same results? Absolutely. But at some point you need to eliminate the obvious for the simple fact that it could potentially reduce the number of murders that occur in these instances. I'm sick of seeing these multiple murders because someone wants the ability to spend $900 - $1200 for some "macho gun" that they can in turn drop $80 to spend one hour at some gun range plinking at some immobile target once every 3 months. Meanwhile, you have the mentally disjointed buying the same weapon and using it to viciously murder 27 innocent victime, 2/3rd's of them 7 years or younger. You obviously can't stop these individuals from obtaining these, or any other semi-auto weapons, because of course we'd violate your interpretation of the 2nd Amendment by forcing you to perform a complete background check, and make you wait one entire month before you can blow up those innocent beer cans in your backyard. If you can't adhere to these policies, why? What have you got to hide? I have no problems whatsoever having a background check (considering I have a TS/SCI clearance, I better not) performed. I have no issues waiting a month before I pick up my weapon. I don't even have a problem registering every weapon I own, and have to inform the government when I intend to sell my weapons to someone else. Why? Again, I have nothing to hide, and it's not infringing on my rights to own a firearm. Why would you have a problem with it?

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/393788/27-dead-at-connecticut-elementary-school/200#post_3504740
Again, how can you continue to make the stupid argument when the facts are not on your side? As we have moved away from punishing our kids (whether by spanking or grounding for a week or whatever) Kids are getting more violent.
If my kids disrespect me, I punish them by taking away their privileges. They lose their cars, they lose the ability to go out with their friends, they lose the ability to use their computers and phones. To them, that's more devastating than me whacking them on the ass and telling them to don't do that again. You apparently don't understand what hurts the present day child more. Kids get more violent because their surroundings have become more violent. If it's not peer pressure, it's cyberbullying. Kids tend to be more arrogant and senical to their peers, their families, and their friends. Why is that? That's the magical question no one seems to be able to answer.