28 Gallon Quarantine Build

So I recently ordered a clownfish online who had a parasite, and infected the other clown that had been living in my 33 gallon display tank. Both of the fish died. I decided that it was time for me to have my own quarantine tank and do things the right way.
The last fish died last week. From reading online, I believe that it is possible the parasite could still be in my display tank for a couple of months even without fish. So my plan is not to add another fish until after Halloween. That gives me 2 and a half months for the parasite to die (hopefully) in my display tank.
My dad had an old 28 gallon freshwater tank. It didn't have any water in it, it just had decorations. I wanted to use it as a sump for my display tank, but it's an inch too wide. : So here's the tank.

I am going to let it soak in vinegar overnight and then try to clean it out tomorrow.

I have never setup a quarantine tank. So any input would be greatly appreciated. I am not concerned about doing this quickly. I just want to do it right. I'm currently off of work until September the 8th due to knee surgery, and I really won't have the money to buy new equipment until after then. This is the filtration that was already on the tank. Does anybody know if it is suitable to use for saltwater? I currently use a canister filter on my display tank. If I can ever get my own sump built, I would probably transfer the canister filter over to the quarantine tank.

I know that I will need to purchase a heater and powerhead. The tank has the standard fluorescent lights that came with it. Anything else you can think that I would need? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

novahobbies

Good job setting up a QT system! Yes, your filter will work perfectly fine for a quarantine tank. A heater is a good idea, and a powerhead is NICE but not necessary. You should get a few pieces of PVC tubing for the fish to hide in.....or any inert plastic decor that can be easily removed and sterilized. The standard fluorescent light is perfect for this tank....you don't need much light, and the fish will be more comfortable in a low-light environment.
You should get a refractometer in case you need to treat a fish with hyposalinity. I would also suggest a copper test kit now if you ever plan on treating with cupramine. Another important medicine to have on hand is Prazipro...this treats intestinal worms and flukes, and I treat it as a prophylactic in my QT systems.

Thanks! I did find some pvc pipe.

I'm also thinking about putting this piece of dry rock in. It was once in my display tank, but I didn't have room for it. If I do put it in the quarantine, I'm not going to use it in any other tank but that one.

And I currently only have the dreaded "hydrometer." I am planning on buying a refractometer for my tank this Fall. I have read that you are supposed to use different equipment for each tank. Would I need to by a refractometer for my display tank and for my quarantine?
I'm still trying to get the tank clean. It's came to a standstill though because I have a yellow jacket that is very much attracted to the smell of the vinegar I am using. :

sweatervest13

One refractometer is fine. Just be careful not to cross contaminate other things like nets for feeding. Or the pipettes, use one pipette for the QT and one for the DT with regards to the refractometer.

jasonh

I don't think the rock is a good idea. I was advised not to do that because the nasty stuff will survive on the rock. I have a 2 month old QT that is pretty much the same setup. It's doing fine with just PVC. Just make sure they have a few hiding places cause they get bored and start chasing each other around.