29 gal bioucube with young pair of clowns (before they sex) and a couple seahorses (If permitted as I know they have some differences)

ahilly01

I HAVE JUST GOTTEN A 29 gal bioucube and would like to have it with young pair of clowns (before they sex) and a couple seahorses (If permitted as I know they have some differences) if its suitable for them ( I know they need places to latch on with tails and stuff so I thought It had to be taller tank for example)

CAN I HAVE 2 CLOWNS AND 2 SEAHORSES AND HOW IN MY 29 GAL BIOCUBE??
ALSO THIS IS FIRST SW TANK...HAVE HAD LOTS OF FRESWATER IF HELPS ANY BUT I WANT TO PROVIDE BEST HOME AND IF I CANT HAVE SEAHORSE AND CLOWNFISH IN 29 GAL BIOUCUBE WHAT CAN I HAVE?

ADAM

flower

Hi, welcome to the site.

Jay is correct, choose one or the other. Clowns are quick eaters, seahorses eat very slow and would not get enough to eat with clowns around. Their needs are different as well, tropical seahorses need a tank at 72-74 degrees, too warm and bacteria infections kill them. Tropical SW fish need at least 76-80 degrees. You would need a chiller to keep seahorses healthy, which is a little expensive. A reef costs more because of special lighting needs, and a SH tank requires a chiller. Fish only with live rock is the easiest on the pocketbook.

ahilly01

Thanks guys,

So I would like to know from your opinion what would be good to start with for first SW tank and its nano 29 biocube ( what would u recommend for beginner, e.g. easy soft corals, sand, rock, good starter.... what you would have done when new or recommend new hobbyists do? I just want two young clowns and easiest coral and a clean up crew so based off that what do you suggest? I really appreciate the help;-)

adam

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahilly01 http:///t/397792/29-gal-bioucube-with-young-pair-of-clowns-before-they-sex-and-a-couple-seahorses-if-permitted-as-i-know-they-have-some-differences#post_3546990
Thanks guys,

So I would like to know from your opinion what would be good to start with for first SW tank and its nano 29 biocube ( what would u recommend for beginner, e.g. easy soft corals, sand, rock, good starter.... what you would have done when new or recommend new hobbyists do? I just want two young clowns and easiest coral and a clean up crew so based off that what do you suggest? I really appreciate the help;-)

adam

Hi,

An orchid Dottyback, even a flasher wrasse since the top is closed on a bio cube (they jump)...maybe a purple firefish or two. A dwarf angelfish needs a 30g but I think it would be just fine in a 29g. They do require good water quality and stable conditions, so you might need to add that last after the new tank has settled a bit. They like lots of rock work to swim in and out of, it's a toss up that it may nip at LPS corals, but the Kenya tree and mushroom corals would do well, I never had a dwarf angel bother that type of coral...both are perfect beginner corals.

LOL...I offer this book to just about everyone seeking to stock their tank..

A sample page so you can see the info it offers

ahilly01

Thanks sounds awesome and more interesting than a common royal gamma answer! Thank u!also obviously I know you don't know me but I would like to get just two seahorses for the 29 gallon biocube if that's possible cuz I'm not sure how big they get and if you think its okay for beginner mind you I've had FW aquariums before and I know this is more difficult but I can pay attention I just don't want to stress myself outI'm very good at details and has studied a lot and thanks for the book I'm actually buying one today lol but I'm to the point where I need to be hands-on and that's why I got the bio cube in the meantime setting up a 90 gallon hands on learnerthanks again I'll get back to you with updates

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahilly01 http:///t/397792/29-gal-bioucube-with-young-pair-of-clowns-before-they-sex-and-a-couple-seahorses-if-permitted-as-i-know-they-have-some-differences#post_3547006
Thanks sounds awesome and more interesting than a common royal gamma answer! Thank u!also obviously I know you don't know me but I would like to get just two seahorses for the 29 gallon biocube if that's possible cuz I'm not sure how big they get and if you think its okay for beginner mind you I've had FW aquariums before and I know this is more difficult but I can pay attention I just don't want to stress myself outI'm very good at details and has studied a lot and thanks for the book I'm actually buying one today lol but I'm to the point where I need to be hands-on and that's why I got the bio cube in the meantime setting up a 90 gallon hands on learnerthanks again I'll get back to you with updates

Hi,

The 29g is fine for 2 erectus or smaller Seahorses (but not the pigmy ones, the tank is too large for those) They need a cold tank, and clowns are not suitable tank mates... This site sells them by the way, they are healthy, captive bred, and eating frozen Mysis shrimp. However like I said, you need a chiller to keep them. Saltwater is a whole different critter then keeping freshwater tanks. I had freshwater tanks for over 30 years, and none of that really helped on learning the hobby of SW tanks. At best, the knowledge only allowed me to grasp the SW tank info a little quicker. believe me, you are a novice.

LOL...don't want to stress yourself out. It's a running joke around here about the amount of stress we have taking care of our SW tanks, when keeping fish is supposed to ease our stress. That should give you a clue on how...not stressing yourself out is going to work.

The larger the tank ... the easier it is to keep stable, the opposite of freshwater tanks. The 90g you are planning will be easier then keeping a 29g going. The beginner hands-on tank should be the larger one.

ahilly01

thanks very much actually I was thinking the same as you I just thoughtthat's a biocube would be a good learning experience something comes with everything and then I can learn how to do it my own way for the 90 there is a
while so I thought I'd be a good tool

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahilly01 http:///t/397792/29-gal-bioucube-with-young-pair-of-clowns-before-they-sex-and-a-couple-seahorses-if-permitted-as-i-know-they-have-some-differences#post_3547037
thanks very much actually I was thinking the same as you I just thoughtthat's a biocube would be a good learning experience something comes with everything and then I can learn how to do it my own way for the 90 there is a
while so I thought I'd be a good tool

Hi,

As long as you stay on this site, you have lots of help, I'm sure you will be fine, the hardest part is learning to be patient and listening to helpful advice, putting it into practice. It sounds like you will be just fine, we are always here for you, so don't be afraid to ask for help. get a good beginners book and read, read, read.