29 gallon reef stocking suggestions

fjoanne

hi I have had this reef running for 3 years and only have 2 fish a banggai cardinal and a helfrichi firefish. They get along great and I don't want to upset the balance. any ideas for another fish that would work with my set up? maybe one that actually swims. both these guys just stay in the same spot all day unless there's food there's no action in there.

novahobbies

A carpenter's or McCosker's flasher wrasse. A pygmy cherub angel would do fine in there, but he may be a little too aggressive with the helfrichi and the banggai.
My McCosker's is out all day long. He only dissapears at night. They are known to create a mucous "coccoon" around themselves at night, so it's very hard to find him once he goes to bed.

btldreef

Originally Posted by novahobbies
http:///forum/post/3168020
A carpenter's or McCosker's flasher wrasse. A pygmy cherub angel would do fine in there, but he may be a little too aggressive with the helfrichi and the banggai.
My McCosker's is out all day long. He only dissapears at night. They are known to create a mucous "coccoon" around themselves at night, so it's very hard to find him once he goes to bed.
Ahh, I forgot to mention a nice flasher wrasse earlier. I love mine. The McCosker is a beautiful fish! Once you see one swimming through a reef, you'll want one. That being said, blennies have so much personality. Look up MIDAS BLENNY on youtube.

fjoanne

I thought about a midas blenny but I have heard that they get mean in a smaller tank and am a little worried about that with my firefish in there.
I had a black and white clown till he jumped out of my tank but he just stayed by my skimmer all day long.
I like the McCosker wrasse they are active and pretty.
do you think the midas would get too mean?
Is the McCosker wrasse good in a 29 gallon?
sorry about all the questions I just want to make sure I don't wake up to a dead firefish. He's the most expensive fish I have bought so far and really don't want to chance him.

novahobbies

Forgot to mention: almost all flasher and fairy wrasses are known jumpers. You'll need something over the tank top, even if it's just eggcrate.

fjoanne

I've got a glass lid covering my tank now that I did'nt have when I had the clown. I have all the small openings left covered as well.
I've learned from my mistake with the clown and after spending $90 on my firefish I wasn't about to take any more chances since they are jumpers as well but thank you for the info.

fjoanne

has anyone had a midas blenny in a small tank?
I have heard that they rip the fins off of firefish but only in smaller tanks.
what's the best kind of wrasse for a 29 gallon reef? I like McCoskers and Carpenters. would either of these work out with my firefish?
I really don't want a clown. they are cool but they kind of stay in the same area of the tank as well.
Is there any other peaceful fish you would recommend?

btldreef

Originally Posted by fjoanne
http:///forum/post/3169234
has anyone had a midas blenny in a small tank?
I have heard that they rip the fins off of firefish but only in smaller tanks.
what's the best kind of wrasse for a 29 gallon reef? I like McCoskers and Carpenters. would either of these work out with my firefish?
I really don't want a clown. they are cool but they kind of stay in the same area of the tank as well.
Is there any other peaceful fish you would recommend?
I do not recommend a Midas in your size tank, especially since you have a firefish. However, most of the blennies have the same personality (minus the aggressiveness) of the Midas. If you want a blenny, you'd be much better off with a BiColor or a Black Combtooth.
The McCosker's and the Carpenters are both peaceful wrasses. They should be fine with your firefish. The most peaceful wrasse that I've came across is the Longfin Fairy Wrasse. I have one and it is beautiful to watch swim and very docile. He even rubs against my hand when I'm feeding corals. As a general rule, wrasses of the genus Cirrhilabrus are more peaceful and easier to keep (and less likely to jump) than the wrasses of the genus Paracheilinus.

novahobbies

Hey BTLDreef, do you mind posting a pic of your longfin? I've been tempted to get one (looking at the pic from that doctor's site) but no other photo of the longfin looks quite like that. How does yours look?

btldreef

Hard to get a good picture, but here ya go. He's much more colorful in person, still not quite as pretty as the doctors site shows, I've never seen one look completely like that in person, but watching how they swim is cool. They're fins move like a fairy moves its wings (hence the FAIRY part of the name). His "long fin" is screwed up because a sixline nipped at it in the store, but it's growing back well. Super peaceful fish and very social. Lately he's been trying to school with my Anthias, LOL.

fjoanne

thanks for the reply I know the midas is not a best fit for my tank just wish he was. I think I will research fairy wrasses cause I really like your longfin.
I am probably going to go with a blenny, goby, or wrasse the longfin is now at the top of my list along with the McCosker. Thank you

novahobbies

Yeah......I'm thinking of starting a new tank just for a longfin now. Thanks for those pictures; they're spectacular!
BTW, when I introduced my McCosker's into my system, the first thing my dam GS Maroon clown did was nip off the McCosker's spike.
It's almost completely grown back tho.

fjoanne

btw just wondering if any one know what else I can try giving my banggai cardinal he will only eat frozen mysis and brine. thats it. I've tried cyclops and plankton he won't touch them. any other suggestions or is the two kinds of shrimp enough for him

fjoanne

That sucks. I didn't know wrasses were small enough to fit thru eggcrate I thought only nano fish like gobies and stuff are the only ones to get thru.