29g FOWLR

lady becca

I am thinking of setting up a 29g FOWLR. Can you please tell me what I need?
I have a MaxiJet power head, and a whisper bio-filter and heater. What about Skimming? Lighting? Or any other items?
:confused:

brit0211

sorry i cant help, i'm new too
but, where in IN are you?
Im from Richmond
:happyfish :happyfish :happyfish :happyfish

petem

I'm new to this hobby as well. The one thing I learned...you need to have patience. Do you have any good books on SWF?
I have the New Marine Aquarium, and the Saltwater Aquarium for dummies book. The first one, takes you step by step on equipment, cycling. Actually setting up the tank. Both are very informative. I've also heard that the Concientious Marine Aquarist is good too.
In addition to your items already, you need a heater, if it's a FOWLR, a basic double strip lighting systems is all you need. preferably one bulb that's actinic.
hydrometer is necessary, Various test kits for Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, Ph, etc. all of this info, you'll find here, and in those books i mentioned.
some people think you can wait on the protein skimmer, but I bought one right away. As far as the number of powerheads, I believe one would be enough for your size tank. I maybe wrong, I'm hoping someone else will add to this list.
One thing for sure, that I'm finding out for myself...this is not a cheap hobby, and it's also not for anyone that wants instant results. Good luck to you. I should be setting up mine in a week or so.
:happyfish

cprdnick

Buy a good skimmer. However it is not necessary, and I personally recommend, to run it until your cycle is complete.
Lighting as stated above, for a FOWLR needs nothing more than NO (normal output) lighting. The actinic bulb is not necessary, but is good for the asthetics of your new aquascape.
As far as flow goes, I think, but I'm not sure, that the gph rating for a FOWLR and a reef are not the same. I know in a reef you need 10x the volume of turnover on your flow, but I'm pretty sure this is not required in a FOWLR tank.
A last not, in a 29 gallon, do not consider the purchase of a tang, do not consider the purchase of an anenome (lighting is not appropriate), and do your research on the compatability and anything else you can find out about any inhabitant that you are considering.
Clint

DON'T DO IT! - i also went for a 29 gallon bowfront tank, and i've regretted it ever since i've learned anything on these boards.
1 - harder to maintain water conditions in a smaller amount of water.
2 - size of the tank severely limits types and amounts of fish you can keep
For the additional cost upfront to do a 55 gallon, do it! Any good LFS will tell you that is the minimum size to use for a starter tank. go to a 75 or larger and you can keep tangs. 100 or larger and you can keep mandarins. look over some of the fish you would like to have, and see the minimum tank size that they need - you'll be surprised how much volume those lil fishies need.
I have a 29 gal, with a tetra 150 powerfilter with built-in-heater, a maxijet 900 powerhead for extra circulation, a visijet protein skimmer, 40 lbs of live sand, and 50 lbs of live rock - do not use crshed coral or some other decorative substrate - sand is more natural, and, more beneficial to the tank and it's inhabitants.