2nd opinion

wyatterp

I was told that 192 watt pc lighting on a 30 gal tank would support most corals, is this valid or is someone setting me up for failure? Any opinions on jbj pc lights?

reefraff

That should be plenty of light so as long as the rest of your system is up to snuff you could keep most corals.

dskidmore

I'd call that a medium light tank. You can definatly have shrooms, and some soft corals, but the stony corals require a crazy ammount of light.

wyatterp

no too much worried about the stony corals at this point, what about those real colorful clams? Does anyone know anything about jbj lighting?

reefraff

If your tank is more than about 16" tall I'd stay away from the more light demanding clams like Maxima's and Croceas unless you keep them up in the rocks. If you do clams or SPS corals(there are plenty of Montiporas you could keep) I would change lamps every 8 to 10 months. PC's start out pretty bright but don't last very long.

kaotik

i agree with reefraff, that would be plenty of light for most soft corals and a couple types of clams. MH is really the only way to go if you want to keep almost anything!!