2Quills, 120G Re-build thread.

gill again68

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/280#post_3346866
I love the cherry, just not sold on the lighter color...maybe a hair darker....JMO.... Is that just 1 coat of the lighter stain?
Well with such a small sample it is hard for me to tell. With just the sample I think that its to busy. The Cherry is very nice but the maple is to drastic IMO. If you are going to use a 2 tone you may want to look at some more combos. Now with all that said what matters is what you and your family likes. The trim detail looks really nice. Maybe thats what I dont like with the maple. The darker stain in the grain of the detail? I think thats it. I can see the darker with the Cherry be more of a positive accent.
Love the stand. Keep posting pics.

al&burke

Corey I look at your stand (and Shawns) as a timeless piece, a work of art, beautiful, I am not sold on the two tone finish, I look at them and see a warm finish that will look good for the rest of its time - life. The details in the moldings and doors will make these pieces stand out. JMHO.

2quills

Awesome guys, thanks for the replies.
But wow, I'm kind of suprised you guys aren't really feeling it. Everybody who's seen the sample in person up against the stand thinks I should deffinately go with it. The contrast is really what I was after. I wanted to exentuate the the shapes to show off the detail a little bit. Maybe it is a little too light feeling in the pics and the sample is small. The stand is huge and it takes up the whole wall so the vast majority of it would still be darker cherry color. I put 3 coats of stain on the trim in the sample because one coat was deffinately way to light and it didn't bring out the rich gold color of the stain. I'll have to think about this some more for sure. I got the idea from the look of our bedroom furniture which I love. It's dark and has some lighter color inlays. I don't know, maybe I should try a different color that is more like that stuff. Or what if I just did the lighter color on the trim on the doors but did the crown, the base and the trim dividing the stand and canopy all dark so that it looked something more like these...

1snapple

I would go w/the 2 tone, it's sweet. It would look really good expecially with the contrastic colors of the fish and coral.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Snapple http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/300#post_3347039
I would go w/the 2 tone, it's sweet. It would look really good expecially with the contrastic colors of the fish and coral.
Thanks, that kind of what what my train of thought is on it. Since the stand takes up virturally the whole wall I wanted to kinda break it up a bit. Maybe because I've been staring at it for so long the colors keep growing on me more and more.

al&burke

Corey, it is you that has to like it, we are not there to see the size and greatness of your stand, JMHO

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/300#post_3347056
Corey, it is you that has to like it, we are not there to see the size and greatness of your stand, JMHO
Right on, Al. I was just looking to hear some thoughts and or other ideas that maybe I hadn't considered. I do think I'll like the look but it's one of those things that going to be permanent so I guess I'm just looking for something to help me make up my mind that 100%, ya know?

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/300#post_3347073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke
http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/300#post_3347056
Right on, Al. I was just looking to hear some thoughts and or other ideas that maybe I hadn't considered. I do think I'll like the look but it's one of those things that going to be permanent so I guess I'm just looking for something to help me make up my mind that 100%, ya know?
I hear you brother, it is so beautiful you don't what to regret something later down the road.

gill again68

I like the furniture in the pics you posted. I could see that for sure. In those pics you see a "marble" affect and the doors have a lighter shade of the same color dont they? It was just too much of a contrast for me. I like the idea and like mentioned keep doing what you like. The stand is amazing so when you get the whole thing finished it may just make us all want one.

acrylic51

Agree with Al.... Your the one that has to be happy Corey. Sometimes samples and the pics don't serve justice. I do like the idea of 2 tone myself as well. You know I have a hard time deciding anything when it comes to stain. I did love the shadowing effect of the lighter stain in certain areas. I think where I felt it was a tad much or I don't know was in the dentil of the crown. It could again have solely been the pic as well.

2quills

10/4 guys. I'm still going to give it some more thought. I'm not commited to anything just yet. I appreciate all of the opinions and that's why I asked for them. Sometimes when it comes to things like this I can be just as bad a woman who's shoping for shoes and can't make up her mind. So I seek the advice of my comrads in arms.
My new EZ mount hinges for the canopy door should arrive at the house today. If they do then I'll throw them on and let ya know how they turned out.
I am now accepting applications for anyone looking to do all of the finish sanding on this thing for me.
I've been putting it off because I'm not looking forward to it. Actually the whole finishing process all together is going to be some serious work. I don't know what I was thinking going with all of this dentil molding.
I think I may just have to spray finish this thing after all. We'll see.
Thanks guys

1snapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/300#post_3347537
10/4 guys. I'm still going to give it some more thought. I'm not commited to anything just yet. I appreciate all of the opinions and that's why I asked for them. Sometimes when it comes to things like this I can be just as bad a woman who's shoping for shoes and can't make up her mind. So I seek the advice of my comrads in arms.
My new EZ mount hinges for the canopy door should arrive at the house today. If they do then I'll throw them on and let ya know how they turned out. Pictures.
I am now accepting applications for anyone looking to do all of the finish sanding on this thing for me.
If you get me a plane ticket i will come help
I've been putting it off because I'm not looking forward to it. Yea, sanding sucks, along w/ stain and well everything else.
Actually the whole finishing process all together is going to be some serious work. I don't know what I was thinking going with all of this dentil molding.
Thanks guys
Happy to help
(if i did help?)

acrylic51

I feel you Corey on sanding. I wet everything down with a damp wet cloth, and sand at least 3 times before putting stain on.... I was just over my buddies last night, and if you were close by he's already setup ready to spray. I wish I could spray the clear coat. I have to get down to WoodCraft tomorrow. Was the youngests daughters birthday today; turned 10,so had a little celebrating to do.

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Snapple http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/300#post_3347768
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/300#post_3347537
My new EZ mount hinges for the canopy door should arrive at the house today. If they do then I'll throw them on and let ya know how they turned out. Pictures.
If you get me a plane ticket i will come help
I've been putting it off because I'm not looking forward to it. Yea, sanding sucks, along w/ stain and well everything else.
Actually the whole finishing process all together is going to be some serious work. I don't know what I was thinking going with all of this dentil molding.
Thanks guys
Happy to help
(if i did help?)
I wish I could come and help you Corey, sanding sucks but if you do a good job you will never be sorry, remember you are going to look at this for the rest of your life probably. As for finishes i really like the minwax polywipe - you put it on with a lint free rag and really rub it in, it might take an extra coat or two but the end result is beautiful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51
http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/300#post_3347780
I feel you Corey on sanding. I wet everything down with a damp wet cloth, and sand at least 3 times before putting stain on.... I was just over my buddies last night, and if you were close by he's already setup ready to spray. I wish I could spray the clear coat. I have to get down to WoodCraft tomorrow. Was the youngests daughters birthday today; turned 10,so had a little celebrating to do.
Hapy Birthday to your daughter Shawn, my son is going to be ten this year as well, time flies my friend.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/300#post_3347819
I wish I could come and help you Corey, sanding sucks but if you do a good job you will never be sorry, remember you are going to look at this for the rest of your life probably. As for finishes i really like the minwax polywipe - you put it on with a lint free rag and really rub it in, it might take an extra coat or two but the end result is beautiful.
Hapy Birthday to your daughter Shawn, my son is going to be ten this year as well, time flies my friend.
Thanks Al......I agree....I bought both the wipe on and poly in the can. I know the wipe on does an excellent job, that's what I used on my 240 stand Corey and you could see the shine on that puppy.....I don't remember how many coats, and sanding in between with 0000 steel wool, but well worth the effort IMO. I started the side of my stand with the wipe on and put 2 coats on so far, but I need to rub it down with 0000 steel wool before the next coat. Does anyone know if you could apply a spray on finish after the poly is applied?

2quills

That's what I would think if it was the same stuff. Poly on poly...etc. I've never used the wipe on poly. Is it similar to applying an oil finish, like a teak oil or tung oil? Does it not start getting sticky fast?
I was also thinking about rubbing out a wax coat to finish off the finish. Once it's all buffed out it leaves a super smooth and shiny finish. Has anyone ever tried an oil finish over stain?
Hinges have been delayed. Not sure why by tracking moved the delivery day to tommorow. It's been in transit from ohio since last monday?

Good news is that I've got the rest of the week off starting tommorow and all weekend. Had some left over vacation days from last year that I need to use up before March and I can't sell them back. So the plan is to tackle as much of finishing off the trim and sanding as I can.

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/300#post_3348056
That's what I would think if it was the same stuff. Poly on poly...etc. I've never used the wipe on poly. Is it similar to applying an oil finish, like a teak oil or tung oil? Does it not start getting sticky fast?
I was also thinking about rubbing out a wax coat to finish off the finish. Once it's all buffed out it leaves a super smooth and shiny finish. Has anyone ever tried an oil finish over stain?
Hinges have been delayed. Not sure why by tracking moved the delivery day to tommorow. It's been in transit from ohio since last monday?

Good news is that I've got the rest of the week off starting tommorow and all weekend. Had some left over vacation days from last year that I need to use up before March and I can't sell them back. So the plan is to tackle as much of finishing off the trim and sanding as I can.
Corey - I think the problem with any oil finish any saltwater that might splash on it, it might take it off if it is not wiped off right away. The poly wipe does not get dry really fast it gives you plenty of time to work it in. And you can get a real super shiny finish with fine sanding between coats, as Shawn said.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///forum/thread/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/300#post_3348060
Corey - I think the problem with any oil finish any saltwater that might splash on it, it might take it off if it is not wiped off right away. The poly wipe does not get dry really fast it gives you plenty of time to work it in. And you can get a real super shiny finish with fine sanding between coats, as Shawn said.
Yeah that's what I had always heard and figured with the saltwater...pluss the oil has to pretty much be re-applied every 6 months or so to keep it looking nice. My plans were to put 4 coats of poly on the stand for protection from the salwater and overal longevity. I also did the ******** of the stand and canpoy with 3 coats of the urethane paint (fine sanding between coats). I would have done 4 coats but I ran out of the paint and that stuff wasn't what I would call cheap so I didn't bother with the 4th.
I had just seen a co-worker refinish his teak benches with oil and it looks really nice. But I don't think oil would be best on an aquarium stand. I was currious for the possiblility of other projects if oil could or should be applied over stain.
I'll look into the wipe on poly. What would or did you guys use to apply it? Cotton or terry cloth?
BTW...I like the new anemone, Al. What kind is it?

al&burke

FCBTA
Frozen Canadian Bubble tip anemone - very rare only found in frozen arctic water of the North Pole - not for beginners