(3) 250w de or (3) 400w mh on 210 gal

S

spsaddict

ino what would be better... for cost reasons id like to go 250w but i also want to provide enough light 29"inches down to the bottom for all my light lovng creatures i plan on having down there..

brooklyn johnny

spsaddict the DE 250s would be fine IMO, assuming you are going to use 10k bulbs. On my 24" deep sps system I keep many clams and sps on the bottom, and even the croceas and maximas (most light loving clams) do well. I have almost no sandbed. The 10ks really bake, but I have a DE 20k over a softie/lps tank that provides nice unsupplemented color but much less intensity than the 10k ushios. I supplement the ushios with 3 VHO actinics and love the color combo. If you are a definate 20k/radium man go for the 400 SE bulbs...
There is debate over the strength of DE 250s compared to SE 400s, but my first hand experience is that the 250 DEs really bake and are a great lamp...
In other words as always... listen to Kip!
Johnny

dima96

i would go with the 250 w DEs. one of the guy in my club has a odell 220 which slightly taller then the aga 210. the only worry he has is he needs to put light colored acros closer to the top. just make sure you get good reflectors. read sanjay joshi's work on reflectors. by the way the xm 10k throw a ton of light.

nm reef

Either appears to be a sound choice from everything I've read. I run a pair of 400 watt 10K Ushios myself(with 2x110 URI actinics over a 100 display 60x20x20)...but there have been numerous posts praising the 250 DE's....either would be a great lighting source and basically comes down to a personal preference. I debated the issue myself....and decided on the dual 400's.:thinking:
I have three clams on the sand bed that are doing great and I'm in the process of adding some SPS types and anticipate no problems .

droshi

I would say go for the 250w DEs also, they put out about the same intensity, but at near half the electric bill :)

S

spsaddict

thanks for the replys, sry for my delay in returning them... been outta town helping my fiancee and her fsamily build there retirment house...
thx for the feedback. anyone with pics of xm 10k's with and with out supplementation? as i havent sen these bulbs running.... thx