3" & 4" computer fans for canopies

nasotang00

Can you use these kinds of fans for your canopy? If so, most have 2 wire, mostly red and black. How would you connect them. Can you connect a standard 2 prong plug to them. I will be installing with a DIY MH set up. Not a PFO, I need to do the lighting wiring myself as well. Is there a difference between a DC12V and a 120VAC fan. Can I use either?
Thanks all.

kdlbem

You will have to get a transformer to run the 12v DC(direct current, Like most cars). The 120vac(alternating current)Will work. All you do is wire it to a two prong plug, seal the connections(for safety), and plug it in. I put a splitter on my actinic timer, so it goes on and off when they do.
HTH,
B

I've used muffin fans from Radio Shack in this capacity as well. If you'll look carefully, somewhere on that fan there will be info regarding voltages as well as which lead is positive or negative. I was able to find 120 volt AC fans so, no transformer was required.

nasotang00

Fester, how did you connect them. I have seen that some people wire them to their lighting wiring. some say you can attach an old extension cord end with the plug.?!?!?

bbreaux1

if you need a transformer you can get a little cheap one from walmart or radioshack i had to get one to wire my diy water top off