3/4" drain tube through 1" bulkhead

andy51632

How could I hook a 3/4" drain tube on to a 1" bulkhead? Is this possible? I am not real smart w/ this stuff.

jsteiert

Home Depot or Lowes both carry a full line of plumbing parts, all you need is a 1" to 3/4" reducer and probably a short piece of 1" pipe to install into your bulkhead fitting. That is if it is a slip (glue type) fitting, if it is threaded then you can get threaded reducers. If you carry your bulkhead and a small piece of your pipe you want to connect you should have no problem making the two fit. Plus there are always employees there that might be able to help you out.

zman1

Originally Posted by andy51632
How could I hook a 3/4" drain tube on to a 1" bulkhead? Is this possible?
Yes with adapters - Just make sure you're working on the inside diameter of the bulkhead.

andy51632

okay i am a idiot. the bulkheads on the overflow accept a 1" pvc pipe. Do I need to use some sort of plumbers glue to make the seal? The 1" pvc just slips into the bulkhead. No Home Depot for 100 miles. Yes I know boonies and trying to do a saltwater tank.

zman1

Yes, you need to glue it. Oatey, LDR are some brand names for PVC cements. Do you have any hardware stores close? Try the same place you bought the pipe at for the overflow.

andy51632

Yes I have a hardware store close. Small but a hardware store and a radio shack all in one believe it or not. Okay I have 1 ribbed 1" drain hose with clamps I have a piece of pvc in the sump to accept the water from the drain hose. My problem is getting the drain hose installed on the bulkhead in the siphon overflow. I noticed that a 1" pvc would fit in the bulkhead. If I go and buy some 1" pvc and some pvc cement, then cement the 1" pvc to the inside of the bulkhead my drain hose will fit on the 1" pvc. All that I need to install the pvc into the bulkhead is some pvc cement right?

zman1

Originally Posted by andy51632
Okay I have 1 ribbed 1" drain hose with clamps I have a piece of pvc in the sump to accept the water from the drain hose. My problem is getting the drain hose installed on the bulkhead in the siphon overflow. I noticed that a 1" pvc would fit in the bulkhead. If I go and buy some 1" pvc and some pvc cement, then cement the 1" pvc to the inside of the bulkhead my drain hose will fit on the 1" pvc. All that I need to install the pvc into the bulkhead is some pvc cement right?

Yes, for the PVC. However, I am confused about the hose and clamp comment. Those usually go on a barb connector. Got any pictures?

slugg3r

When you use PVC Cement make sure you use the PVC primer also. Otherwise the joint won't be clean and could weaken or leak.