3" Sand Bed too deep?

saltymarine

I just added 40LBS of CarribSea reef sand to my 29G Nano that I am setting up. Is this too much? It is about 3" - 3 1/2" deep.

coastie5685

wow .. thats some sand for a 29g.. sounds good though. really depends on you... more LR or more LS. that is the question lol.

saltymarine

I figured with only being a 29G that having the deep sand bed would help buffer the water better and keep my levels steady. Was I wrong with that train of thought?

D

dennis210

It has always been my understanding that sand beds between 2 inches and four inches are kind of touchy. The top 2 inches usually get well oxygenated and over 4 inches gives stable areas of low to no oxygen. In the middle ground however some authors note that denitrification can begin to occur and then water movement through the sand bed at intermediate depths will cuase those bacteria to die back. So in my reading and in my personal observations tanks with deep sand beds (over 4 inches) and shallow sand beds (with 2 inches or less) have done better over the long hauls. Just something I thought you should know.

florida joe

Originally Posted by Dennis210
http:///forum/post/2943335
It has always been my understanding that sand beds between 2 inches and four inches are kind of touchy. The top 2 inches usually get well oxygenated and over 4 inches gives stable areas of low to no oxygen. In the middle ground however some authors note that denitrification can begin to occur and then water movement through the sand bed at intermediate depths will cuase those bacteria to die back. So in my reading and in my personal observations tanks with deep sand beds (over 4 inches) and shallow sand beds (with 2 inches or less) have done better over the long hauls. Just something I thought you should know.
Dennis this is a subject that will run the OP tread into a multi page report. I think there is a vast amount of info that can be submitted by the members. It would be a great post for you to start.

king_neptune

Salty Marine eh?
I remember when I got off the LCAC and set foot on shore after my first deployment. The first words I said to the BC was, "I'm a Salty Marine"
He laughed and gave me a pat on the shoulder and a welcome home handshake.
Then I got back to the barracks...and it was treated like a crappy boot as usual.
back on topic.......
I would say don't do deep. I had a friend watch his tank blow up practically overnight cause of deep sand releasing everything. Its a general rule now that Deep sand beds aren't a good thing.
I'm doing 1-1.5" on mine.
http://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/349033/neptunes-125-reef-diary/60#post_2943438

king_neptune

Originally Posted by SaltyMarine
http:///forum/post/2943947
When were you in the Corps and for how long? I am a GySgt at the moment. 3 Iraq deployments and counting!

98-02
2 deployments. 1st was E-Timor. Second was first round in Afghanistan. I was Battalion LCPL....lol I was a turd, I aint about to lie^^ You would have been in my face 24/7. When I got out I had been a Lance longer than most Sgt's were into their enlistment. Unless you were a staff NCO, chances are you were a boot to me.
Ahhh the corps...I hated it with a passion. And loved it more than anything in my life. Kinda weird how something you despise is also the thing you love more than anything. God bless you Gunny. God bless the corps. I shake the hand of every soldier I see in town...evin if they are army dogs who walk around in uniform. Evin my Chairforce brother in law. And for sure I double shake the hands of all marines I meet.
I absolutely love soldiers and the fact they are in the suck right now, and I'm not. I will always fly a flag in my yard as long as there is some poor Grunt sitting in a foxhole on fire watch.
I just met an army kid the other day and we began talking, he's a boot and having a rough time. I laughed and passed on some encouragement about how everyone was a boot, just some are treated worse than others^^, told him to suck it up and blame himself, ha ha.

king_neptune

Originally Posted by SaltyMarine
http:///forum/post/2943948
Ok so now it is a 2" sand bed is that good?

I Don't see anything wrong...you might try to experiment with it and see how it goes. You can always put n or take out more as needed. The way I see it...if everything is stable at 1"....then 1" is good. If everything is stable at 2" still keep an eye on it, because it is a better chance of blowing up than 1".
Think of your deep sand as a minefield. The deeper it is, the more mines you have. But it doesn't mean you cant get around them, you just gotta pay more attention.

fishkid13

I have heard of someone haveing a 10" sandbed!!!! That is over board if you ask me. I perfer a deep sand bed, my new bed is about 2-2 1/2. Good luck with the 2'

coral head

Originally Posted by Dennis210
http:///forum/post/2943335
Dennis is 100% correct.

It is your choice. Remove or add some sand. Personally, I would add sand to a depth of at least 4". Added benefit: if you have corals, it will move them that much closer to the lights!!

oceansidefish

I have a DSB on my current tank and have run 2+ on older tanks. Definately have less problems with stability now...Although its also a 120

saltymarine

We were all boots at one point or another. I am the Chief Instructor at a formal school now so I see them all day everyday. LOL in fact I just had them in formation for an hour at 2200 because a Marine had some stuff come up missing after about an hoour I told them they had 10 minutes to find the stuff or we would stand there and try it again at 0200. Needless to say I got the kid's stuff back. I love this job though. These kids will remember me for the rest of their lives.

king_neptune

lol. His fault for turning an honest marine into a thief^^
Missing gear.....
I remember one time on ship I was doing laundry. A pair of Cammie bottoms came up in the bottom of the bin with the name Trent on them. Didn't match anyone in the platoon or company so I did the honorable thing like any other marine would do...I made some happy rags.
A few days later I saw the whole Airwing in the hanger deck...and I mean THE WHOLE wing! Everyone had a neat stack of Camies folded in front of them with their name tapes displayed. Walking amongst the ranks was a Major....Major Trent. I went straight to the armory and opened the hatch, like hundreds of marines before me who had to dump contraband....out they wen
^.
I don't know how many more formations they had, but I kept clear of the hanger bay for a good while :)