3 week cycling?

myckei

My friend is starting a new 90 gal tank and she wants it up and going. She told me that she can cycle her tank 3-4wks with 2 live lobters (the kind from the grocery store) or all live rock and live sand instead of me who took the slow and steady approach of damsel's and 8 1/2 wks of time. Is this true and are there better ways of quick cycling?
I told her that there is a pet store in my area that sells in progress bio balls of 6-8 mo of bacteria growth that they guarantee. Any advice on the best and quickest way to cycle will be wonderful since she wont take my word for it.
thanks in advance for all advice!!

will to let you kno lobsters from the grocery store live in a lot colder climates. and the live sand and live rcok and a couple damsels in my opinion would do the trick i think.

yelllowtang

I would use Live rock and live sand.
Plus some damsels.
I dont think its a good idea that you use lobsters from a store.
They do need cold water.
But lr,ls and damsels is probably one of the best ways to go.
And I would let it cycle a little bit more about a week or two.
It is a 90 gallon tank and needs more time. :p

fish&chips

I recently cycled my new 110g tank under 4 weeks with just Live Rock (100#). I added Live Sand AFTER the tank cycled w/ the LR. I have also read several posts on this forum that use shrimp (from the grocery store)to cycle their tanks. Ideally, it's better to use methods other than live fish (because of the stress it can cause) to cycle your tank.