3 wrasses to choose from - opinions needed

lion_crazz

I want to get a wrasse for my 210 and I have decided that I like 3 wrasse species.
I like the Blue heads, lunare, and bird wrasses. The only problem is that I have a few chocolate chip stars that I love and would hate to see eaten. I know that the wrasses can be known to pick at crustaceans, but I wanted to know if anyone on here has any experience to share with these wrasses and starfish. Has it worked out, or not? I would like to have a wrasse, but I would definitely decide against it if there were a lot of people with negative experiences...
Thanks!

nw2sltfsh

I would avoid the lunar wrasse
they are psychotic - I had one that was about 6 inches long and one day I woke up to an almost empty tank - he eat everything
Bird Wrasses look cool but the color isnt that great - personally I would go for a scotts fairy wrasse above all of those

af330i

I actually have the 3 wrasses you are talking about and I have 1 Choc Chip star and there is no problems at all in my 150 gallon.
I also have a dragon wrasse and there are no issues
My favorite wrasse is the Bird, not only is the blue/green bird a beauty but to watch him is very entertaining plus he reminds me of a dolphin (probably the pointy mouth) He always looks happy and when he eats it is also really cool to watch his mount open. Also mine likes to skim the top of the water ...
The dragon is also cool to watch but doesn't have that smooth swimming style of the others.
The Lunar is nice to watch and has a good personaility and the blue head is ok but not great ... if I had to do it again I would not get another bluehead.
Hope this info helped you out.

jumpfrog

I know it wasn't on your list but I kept a large hawaiian yellow tail coris wrasse for several years with a large starfish. The wrasse never paid any attention to the star the best I could tell.
This may be one of those, depending on the pesonality of a perticular fish thing.
Good Luck!

ngongotaha

I have a bird nose wrasse shes a female she ate my male .
But she is a beautiful wrasse . what other fish do you have
because she is quite aggressive. she is about 6inches.

dougsback

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
I want to get a wrasse for my 210 and I have decided that I like 3 wrasse species.
I like the Blue heads, lunare, and bird wrasses. The only problem is that I have a few chocolate chip stars that I love and would hate to see eaten. I know that the wrasses can be known to pick at crustaceans, but I wanted to know if anyone on here has any experience to share with these wrasses and starfish. Has it worked out, or not? I would like to have a wrasse, but I would definitely decide against it if there were a lot of people with negative experiences...
Thanks!
i would go with a bird wrasse... i love those fish
its def on my list when i upgrade

my way

Have you ever seen a Pinkface (Thalassoma quinquevittatum)? I think these are absolutely gorgeous. If I did'nt already have a Lunarre, that would be my pick. BTW I have a CC Star and after a few nips the first day nobody seems to care that he is in the tank with them.

jacknjill

i love bird wrasses. they had an awesome blue green one at my lfs, it was huge and had some old "battle scars" but it was awesome. i love the shape of them. also, ive seen a couple lunare wrasses at the stoer also. very beautiful
i would say a green bird wrassse, maybe a male and a female if you can. that would be awesome

lion_crazz

I think you guys have sold me on the bird wrasse. I liked them a lot as it was, but I liked the other two as well. I am glad to here that there have been some positive experiences with the bird wrasse. After thinking about it, I think I want one of them because they are such a different fish. I am not worried if he is a little aggressive, my batfish and squirrelfish will keep him in check. Thanks everyone! He should be a nice fit when I eventually decide to get him.

slipknotno

I had a 5 inch male and female bird wrasse. with puffers and triggers. At first evrything was OK but after a few months there were power struggles. first the female died from unknown causes than the male started attacking my puffers killing one of them and wounding another. I loved how they would fly through the water and constantly moving. But please be careful about it's tankmates. make sure they can hold there own.
Matt