30 gallon setup.

user420

Ok I setting my tank up tell me what you guys think and input on the equipment thanks.
I have a 30 gallon tank with a 10 gallon sump/refugium
The Tank
Im getting a overflow kit from glassholes rated at 700gph my local glass company said they will drill the hole for under $5
Current USA Nova Extreme T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 4X39 Watt, 36 inch(156 watts 2 white 2 blues)
(2) Hydor Koralia #1 Powerhead
Coralife Super Skimmer Protein Skimmer for tanks up to 65 gallons
Pondmaster Mag Drive 5 Aquarium Pump(for the return)
Im going to have atleast 25lbs of live rock
30lbs bag of live sand(not sure what kind I like that sugar sized. Does it matter? what you you guys like/have?)
+ some sand in refugium with live rock rubble.
The sump
I have 3 chambers skimmer>return<refugium with a bubble trap from the skimmer to the return
Same glass company cut me 1/4" glass for under $3 each like $12 for 4 of em.
Thats pretty much it for now what do you guys think? thanks

user420

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3048920
sound slike you have done your research. what are your plans for the tank?
I want to have a reef set up but will be moving in 7 months so im goin to keep it more on the simple side intill then.

crypt keeper

your user name actually sparked my interest in your thread. Id look into the asm g1 skimmer if you're going to place it in the sump. as far as skimmers go that old saying you get what you pay for is very true IMO. Reef tanks are fun. any fish?

user420

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3048929
your user name actually sparked my interest in your thread. Id look into the asm g1 skimmer if you're going to place it in the sump. as far as skimmers go that old saying you get what you pay for is very true IMO. Reef tanks are fun. any fish?
Thanks I checked into that skimmer maybe an upgrade after the move for now the supper skimmer is what was on sale my 1st chamber on my sump is 8 1/2 and thats the footprint for the asm g1 skimmer so i wll for sure remember it.thanks

xlr8

I have read and heard from many that the Koralia powerheads are one of the best
. I'll be using them in my 30 gallon set up here in the future. I can't wait to see your PICS.

keith burn

imo go with #2 or #3s.
the #1 is low flow for like a 10gal it may not work to have flow make it from side to side.
i have 8 of them 4-#3s and 4-#4s and love them.
look for the ones with the cone for the front of them in the box thay are good the put the flow in one place if you need it.some will come with out them so look or ask it the one you get has one...

user420

Originally Posted by keith burn
http:///forum/post/3049033
imo go with #2 or #3s.
the #1 is low flow for like a 10gal it may not work to have flow make it from side to side.
i have 8 of them 4-#3s and 4-#4s and love them.
look for the ones with the cone for the front of them in the box thay are good the put the flow in one place if you need it.some will come with out them so look or ask it the one you get has one...

Hey thanks i was reading somewhere and this person said they went with a #1 along with a #2 in a 30gallon. they said it worked ok I was thinking 2 #2s but i dont want too much flow where it stirs the tank.
is there 2 much flow>?
and whats your guys input on sand??
thanks

meowzer

I have a 29g standard...I have 1 Koralia 1, and 1 Koralia 2....works fine for me.
You have to position a 2 just right to make sure it doesn't blow the sand around.
What is it you are wanting to know about sand?

user420

I like that way the fine sugar size sand looks would that be ok and whats the difference>?
between sands pros/cons
Also what salt is everyone using?
thanks

ophiura

YOu can have too much flow in the tank that can blow around corals a lot and even dislocate frags and such. Also for smaller/weaker fish it can be tricky. You have to play it a bit by ear and make modifications to the direction.
I recently purchased a koralia and am very fond of it. A bit chunk, but I looooovvvveeee the magnetic attachment instead of the stupid brackets/suction cups. One of the best advances in a long time, IMO.

user420

Thank you
what kind of salt are you guys using or think is best?
Instant Ocean or Red Sea Salt or Red Sea Coral Pro Salt?
or whatever you think is best?
thanks

salt210

I was using the IO but switched to the reef crystals.
as for the sand the fine sugar sized is good

stanlalee

Current USA Nova Extreme T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 4X39 Watt, 36 inch(156 watts 2 white 2 blues)
make sure you get the latest model with individual reflectors and upgrade the bulbs (which can wait until your tank develops and the stock ones get some wear). dont settle for or have pushed off an older model with the single reflector
(2) Hydor Koralia #1 Powerhead
Make that two K3's. two K2's will suffice if its fish only or just mushrooms and low flow corals. I have K1 in my biocube 14 and had it in a eclipse 6g before that. way too weak for a 30g. I run a maxijet mod (1400gph) and a k1 at the bottom just to kick detritus up off the bottom (bare). I plan on adding a MP20 to the maxi mod and removing the k1. that will be too much unless its going to be sps dominated. zoanthid can easily take that flow but too much for most LPS unless strategically placed.
Coralife Super Skimmer Protein Skimmer for tanks up to 65 gallons
headache. cant say you havent been warned if you go thru with it. too finicky and requires too much adjusting.
Pondmaster Mag Drive 5 Aquarium Pump(for the return)
mag 7. with plumbing loss a mag 5 will only be pushing about 300gph and its small for a 700gph overflow to begin with.
30lbs bag of live sand(not sure what kind I like that sugar sized. Does it matter? what you you guys like/have?)
If its live as in comes in a pre packaged bag and boast about bacteria save your money and get cheap dry sand. If its "REAL" live sand like the florida keys sold on this site you dont have a choice. its all the same which will be mixed grade. real live sand has pods, worms and microfauna and is boxed shipped just like liverock. you wont need more than 20lbs.
I have 3 chambers skimmer>return<refugium with a bubble trap from the skimmer to the return
my design. keeps the protein skimmer sections water level constant regardless of evaporation. pretty much critical with the coralife. will prevent constant adjusting (even with auto top off. this works best with finiky skimmer). leave room for a skimmer upgrade and just enough room to fit return pump. fuge space is limited with a 10g sump. might be better off without it. If I had to do it again I'd have a phosphate reactor or something else besides the tiny fuge

user420

Hey thanks
The light the new version so its good to go i plan on buyin new bulbs when these get old plus i have junk one to flip on and dream about while tank cycles.
I have heard so many storys about the supper skimmer being junk I have been looking at the Reef Octopus NWB 110 Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer.
What do you guys think or know about that one?
For the overflow i will have to drill my tank so i didnt the return pump really made any difference as long as i had good flow with powerheads?
The sand is just bags they have at my LFS its $30 for a 30lbs or 50lbs i forgot which
My sump is skimmer>bubbletrap>return<refugium the refug is about 6x10x10 1/2 tall so i think that would be better then nothing.
Thank you all for your input keep it coming
my overflow is in the mail cant wait