30 gallon volitan?

volitan

I've had a 30 gallon hex tank and stand in my garage for awhile, and I was thinking about setting it up for a lion. I love volitans but is this tank too small for this species? What is the smallest tank you would recommend for a volitan?

sistrmary

Volitans get huge. (13-15 inches) They need at least a 55...but for peace of fish mind sake, I'd go a a bit bigger

fmarini

Hi:
I'll add to Marys comments......
75 gal minimum and thats pushing it for being too small. I recently got rid of 2 adult volitans which had pec wing spans of over 12". They couldn't even turn around in a 55gal tank. (I have a 180gal)
You can keep a juvenile volitans in a 55gal or less, just remember that these fish reach adult in 1.5yrs, so you have a 15" fish on your hands 1 yr from now.
One problem w/ small tanks and big meat eaters is waste, if you do have a small tank, be anal about water quality. Skimmers, rountine water changes, and good husbandry are key to keeping water quality issues at bay.
Lastly, ween it over to SW based prepared foods ASAP
frank

Hey,
Why not try a dwarf fuzzy lion instead? they stay a lot smaller than the voiltans, and they are also very intresting...im pretty posotive one would be ok in a standard 3ft tank (thats how big mine is, and will have a dwarf lion in), but i'd ask around about it in a hex tank, as i do not know the dimentions..
James:)