300 Gallon Reef Project

reefeel

After over a year of planning I have finally started purchasing the equipment for this project. The tank is made of starphire glass 96"Lx24"Wx30"T with an overflow on the right side and the returns are along the center of the tank. The sump is 72"x20"x24" and has three compartments. One 3 foot section for my snowflake eel, one 2 foot section for a refugium, and a 1 foot section filtration compartment. I have purchased my main circlation pump, Sequence Dart, and an AquaC Ev 400 skimmer. I sill need to purchase my Tunze wave box and I still need to figure out what kind of light fixture to get. Any suggestions on the lights or anything else? I was thinking of a sixfoot fixture with 2 400watt lamps and 2 250 watt lamps all HQI. I will post some pictures as soon as I can figure out how to shirnk my 3MB pictures to less the 1MB.

maxalmon

You can use "paint" which is loaded on everyMS product, windows, etc...Go to the stretch/Sku and adjust the size, pretty simple....

acrylic51

Looks like some of Toms work at GlassCages???????? Lighting I would opt for 250's all the way around........I'm not sure I'd go with HQI's though.....You might want to look at the Lumenarc reflectors which probably are the best reflectors on the market right now.....Another thing to consider is your bulb ballast combination.....alittle more to it than just buying bulbs and ballasts...Need to strive for the highest PAR reading you can get to get the most out of your lighting system......

reefeel

Yep it is from GlassCages I just picked the tank up on Friday. Are 250watts enough for high light corals, anemones and clams at 30in deep? I was thinking of using PFO ballasts

acrylic51

250's with the Lumenarcs would work..........
but do your research on bulb and ballast combinations, alot depends on the bulbs and such you want to run.....Whereabout are you located???? I see near Lancaster PA......I'm down that way on business at the big pet store a couple times a week......

acrylic51

That's a nice area.....I live out by the State Police headquaters and the Farm Show in Harrisburg....

reefeel

It could be nicer if there were more lfs', but the big fish store probably runs everyone out of business.

reefeel

Alright, I got my AquaC EV 400 skimmer yesterday and it looks great. I ordered my lights which I decided to do 2 250 watt HQI with 10000K XM bulbs in a PFO mini Pendent and 2 400 watt HQI in the same pendent but I can't find to many bulbs. The choices are PFO, Coral Vue, and Hamilton each have a 10000k bulb. Which brand is the best in par and quality?

shlovell16

Wow, Do you know what livestock you are going to put in the 300 gallon yet?
Looks amazing BTW though, great Location.

reefeel

I decided to go with the PFO 10000K 400 watt HQI bulbs. I am not sure what I am going to put in it . The only thing that is going in for sure is my snowflake eel that is going to go in my sump/aquarium.

reefeel

Isn't a sequence too powerfull? I got my lights and some of my plumbing today, but UPS busted one of the 400watt HQI pendents, but a new one is on the way. :jumping: