30g can I do this????

radcast2

Okay I am going to place a 30g tank to seperate 2 rooms. I really dont want anything hanging off the back or sides so I came up with this. I want to have a 30g drilled on the side, then use 1/8" smoked colored plexi-glass/acrylic(is there a difference between them??) as my overflow system. I plan on having a local glass shop cut the plexi/acrylic to my measurements, then adhere the plexi/acrylic together with WELD ON 3. I am still up in the air about what to use for attachment to the glass. I am thinking WELDON 40 or GOOP, to attach it to the glass, then use GE Silicone I sealant to water proof/seal it. I look at it this way... on pre-drilled tanks with built in overflows they use silicone to attach those overflow systems so it should be okay. Here are 2 pictures of what I hope it looks like when done. I would appreciate ANY comments that ya'll could give to me on this. THanks

squidd

Looks good...as long as the bottom of the tank is NOT tempered...
If it is you'll have some "tough drillin' ahead"...as in can't be done...

radcast2

1st thanks...
2nd..I am being told by the LFS that they can get a 30g that isnt tempered..he says they make non tempered bottoms upto 40g tanks..

squidd

Then you should be good to go...
Your basic design looks simular to the AGA Megaflow design skimming the surface as well as drawing from the bottom...
Good Luck...

squidd

Second look...
Go with a 3/4" return and a 1" "drain" for the bulkheads...
Buy the bulkheads ahead of time to make sure you get the holes drilled the right size..

radcast2

Thanks for the help I will change the bulkheads...friend that has many tanks told em to change it as well.