350 gallon with cracked bottom

puffin04

Well it is not mine yet but i found a 350 gallon oceanic tank with the bottom cracked. AS far as i know it was full of water and then just suddenly cracked but not leaking i think. Well anyways it comes with stand lights and a wet/dry. From what she said they started to repair it whatever that means. And they reinforce the stand in that area. She wants 800 bucks and wanted to know what all you would do? Thanks
Steffen Sparks
I plan on plugging this into my system.

puffin04

I think i can get the bottom class cut for around 200 bucks i think and might just swap it out. Is it possible just to lay the glass into the tank and silicone around the edges? The dem is 72" x 30" x 37" i can believe it is 37in tall. I think i am going to need two 400w MH to penetrate that deep. Or do you think i need three? Clams and SPS all the way and alot of tangs is what i was thinking. Thanks
Steffen Sparks
Maybe some lords as well

coachklm

i wouldnt risk it .... it cracked for a reason.... that much water on your floor is a disaster..

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by puffin04
http:///forum/post/2631396
Well it is not mine yet but i found a 350 gallon oceanic tank with the bottom cracked. AS far as i know it was full of water and then just suddenly cracked but not leaking i think. Well anyways it comes with stand lights and a wet/dry. From what she said they started to repair it whatever that means. And they reinforce the stand in that area. She wants 800 bucks and wanted to know what all you would do? Thanks
Steffen Sparks
I plan on plugging this into my system.
If it where me,i would pass on the tank,your idea to place a new piece of glass on the bottom sounds like a good one,but.................
That is a lot of water and there is always that chance its not going to work out to well.

reefforbrains

Originally Posted by coachKLM
http:///forum/post/2632407
i wouldnt risk it .... it cracked for a reason.... that much water on your floor is a disaster..
Agreed. I dont do damaged tanks. They are one of the cheaper portions of your system.
Maybe snatch it and then ditch the tank to a reptile guy and use the money towards a new one.

aquaknight

60% (stupid accidents being the other 40%) of tanks crack because they weren't supported properly, or weren't level. In either case, the tank may have shifted and is no longer true. Redoing the bottom would only set it up to fail again.
Agreed x2, in a set-up like you sound you want, the tank is really going to be one of the cheaper items.