36 gal refugium help

I operate a 6 foot 180 gallon reef with large fish I have a 2 little giant pumps 1 at 1000 gph thur one stand pipe the other 1200 thru the other. I have a dual airstone protein skimmer, at 25w uv, chiller and cal reactor. I use 720 watts of lighting.Currently the sump has dual drains is 30gal with no bioballs to house 2mags and the heater and chiller probe. 1 mag for the uv and chiller the other for the skimmer. There are 3 bulkheads 1 for the little giant 3mdscq 1 for the 4mdscq and 1 for the skimmer return which drains to the back of the sump with an extender hose to rid of bubbles. I bought a extended refugium it the 30 made to 36 with the hope of using this extra space to suck system water to feed the display tank.
My next thought would be I still need a sump but not as large . How can I make this work? Anyone ever try this refugium?attached photos

I just read that notable reef authorities recommend having a refugium turn over rate similiar to that of the main tank. Is this against everything that I have be reading? I could elimate 1 of my external pumps and go down to 1200gph this is what I had for 3 years prior. This 36 refuge looks as it was designed to do this dual returns, no filter media, refuge, an area for the mags and system pumps bulkheads. The return of the skimmer I will think about due to bubbles.