36 gallon bowfront

slosurfer

I've had my tank up and running for a while and just purchased a new filter, but encountered a problem. It doesn't quite fit because of this plastic strip across the middle. Does this strip provide support? or what is its purpose? I'd like to cut it off, but I'm guessing that wouldn't be a good idea. Any comments appreciated

viper_930

No, it isn't a great idea. It is needed to prevent the tank from bowing outwards from the pressure of the water.

madysmom

just a thought but maybe you could purchase another the same size as what on there now and put it on the left side along with the one on the right side??

treystang

Originally posted by ViPeR_930
No, it isn't a great idea. It is needed to prevent the tank from bowing outwards from the pressure of the water.

I have a bowfront.. and that plastic peice is just to hold the two glass covers... It is very flimsy plastic I doubt it used to hold the glass together?? at least on my tank anyways.

lionfish12

I have the same thing on mine. My dad told me i HAVE to keep it on. If you want to use the filter then pump the water to a 5 gallon tank below the tank or someplace and then put the filter on the 5 gallon. then the water will just me pumped out and cleaned.

rossim

As small and flimsy as it may be, it does add much needed support to the tank. I know people who took it off on thier 55 gallon tanks and each one of them ended up cracking.

slosurfer

yea, i just returned the filter and got a smaller version of it and i'm going to put it on the other side and just have to filters going. My dad said as well that it wouldn't be a good idea to get rid of it, thanks for the help everyone