????????

jchase1970

What is the long mossy type coral, that grows thick like carpet. I've looked in all kinds of coral catagories and looked up seagrasses and carpet coral, but I can't find it. So I give and will just ask for help.
thanks, John

pezenfuego

Can you provide a picture? Please include as many adjectives as you can to describe this, such as (but not limited to) the color.

jchase1970

it tried to find a picture of it, but I can look some more. But I can describe it better.
It's green
it grows think dense.
reminds me of long moss that grows on the ground but is about a inch long
the examples I have seen normally completely cover a piece of rock.
It looks more like a plant then a coral so it may be a plant?
The stalks are hair thin and I think it has a little clump on the tip that may make it look fuller then it is.
very fluid in motion with the current.

jchase1970

I dont know, if you look at the pictures there, there are 7 of them showing daytime activity. then you look on here in the store at the green star polyps they look very different, are these the same thing?

S

saxman

sounds like you're describing GSP (green star polyp) to me...there are a few species out there.
this is one type:

another pic:

flower

Sounds like green Star polyps. I would give you better pictures, but I HATE the new way they have for dowloading a picture...I am going to them to complain now, I hope the pictures I provided is of help.
P.S.
When I began, you had no answers, by the time I uploaded a picture...there were 7 with the same answer. I am sure they were messing with the same sorry change in manage attachments that I was. I just needed to vent...

jchase1970

saxman the one in your second picture is the mossy type i was looking for any idea on the specific name of that one?

S

saxman

about as far as i ever bothered to ID them was Pachyclavularia sp.. the stuff you commented on was actually a HH on some LR i bought about 10 years ago or more.