38g fish tank in apartment

superh

Hey ya'll,
I don't really know which forum this belongs in, so I'll try it here.
I am currently renting a condo where no pets are allowed on the lease, but it doesn't say anything specifically about fish (I have a 38g tank). I was wondering if anyone could help me out and tell me whether or not this is ok because in another month they're gonna start showing the place, which will be during my last month of living here. Are fish considered pets as far as the lease is concerned? The landlord currently has a $700 deposit of mine that I would much like to get back.
Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks!

namas05

My thought would be this, does it really matter if it is a pet or not?
If you are moving in a month there is no way I would set up a tank for a month or less and then have to move it.
But that is just me.
If you really want to set it up then ask the landlord some will say that is fine and other will say no way. The only way to be safe is to ask them.

reefer75

Originally Posted by namas05
My thought would be this, does it really matter if it is a pet or not?
If you are moving in a month there is no way I would set up a tank for a month or less and then have to move it.
But that is just me.
If you really want to set it up then ask the landlord some will say that is fine and other will say no way. The only way to be safe is to ask them.

I believe he already has a tank set up. He must be moving. He is worried that if the owners see a fish tank, He will not get his deposit back.
I have rented apartments before, with having a fish tank, and ni problem getting the deposit back. Those rules about no pets usually applies to dogs and cats. They don't want the possible damage these pets can cause. I would not worry about the tank. Just my 2 cents.

fishy7

Does it say specifically about dogs and cats? if so then do not worry about it. IF the lease is not specific then they do not have a leg to stand on...
If the tank damages the apartment then you have issues. If no do not loose sleep over it.

Just my 2 cents.....

petjunkie

My lease says no pets but I talked my landlord into my cat and just didn't mention my three fish tanks, ferrets, iguana, betta, frog. He didn't seem to care as long as it looked nice and didn't smell so just spruce it up before he shows it. Most people are impressed by saltwater tanks. Is it a tall tank or long because tall seems to look bigger and maybe scare him more?

oozy

fish are kind of in the same category as house plants.
what landlords are saying NO to is animals that will destroy his property, like poo on the rug. torn up carpet, bites on the corner of the wall, or nucence noise like excessive barking or if they die, wont stink....those things
Effictivaly you have a box of water. your fish hopefully wont poo on the rug or bark excessivly.
so your good.
:happyfish

coachklm

true but water damage becomes a worry..if your really in a bind and the landlord brings it up say you were fish sitting for your elderly dad until he passes away.
..you could bring yourself to possible take a chance ruining his toilet by flushing them.... :thinking: :hilarious :hilarious :hilarious