400w ballast question

rcdude1990

hi all, i have 2 huge metal hailide light fixtures im thinkin of selling but i dnt no if it can b used on an aquarium. these 2 fixtures are huge, the bulb is huge, it came from lighting a lobby so u can get an idea wat were talking about. they got 400w ballasts on them. could it b used on aquariums? cause i dnt wanna post somthin in the classifieds for aquariums and not being able to use them for an aquarium

scsinet

They can almost certainly be used on aquariums - with the right lamp.
I'm not sure I'd sell them as aquarium fixtures though..
The voltage is significant also... many times commercial fixtures are set up for 277 or 480 volt, which homes don't have.

rcdude1990

i mean there huge fixtures def not somthin u put over the tank jus cause of the size, the lamps are oval shaped tho

scsinet

I'm pretty sure I know what you are talking about, but if you think I am mistaken then post pics, or use google image to search "High bay halide" and tell me if they look like that.

gregzbobo

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/3128031
They can almost certainly be used on aquariums - with the right lamp.
I'm not sure I'd sell them as aquarium fixtures though..
The voltage is significant also... many times commercial fixtures are set up for 277 or 480 volt, which homes don't have.
Often times they can be rewired to run off 120v home juice, but they would probably buzz annoyingly (if they even fire properly) and may not last as long. Plus if you don't know how to do it, you shouldn't even try.

scsinet

Originally Posted by gregzbobo
http:///forum/post/3128438
Often times they can be rewired to run off 120v home juice, but they would probably buzz annoyingly (if they even fire properly) and may not last as long. Plus if you don't know how to do it, you shouldn't even try.
Yes, provided they have multitap ballasts, but many don't. I figured he'd check the voltage ratings and that would tell the tale.

J

jetskiking

They are really only good for parts. Strip the ballast and socket out then throw the rest away. The reflectors on the industrial fixture are horrible and will give you crappy PAR. Also do some research on the ballast. Look at the ANSI number. Remember not all halides are equal and they don't all fire on the same ballast.

J

jetskiking

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/3128502
Yes, provided they have multitap ballasts, but many don't. I figured he'd check the voltage ratings and that would tell the tale.
Another point well made
. If they are not 120 or multitap then they are no good to your average joe

rcdude1990

yea ur right thats exactly it, a high bay halide, and im not thinking of puttin them on my tank, i was thinkin bout selling them, so mayb ill do as u said strip it of jus the ballast

scsinet

Frankly I'd sell them all in one piece, because that way you are attracting buyers that want them for either their intended applications or for just the ballast.... but then again shipping a high bay is gonna be tough.
Don't expect to get much for them, they are pretty much a dime a dozen.
so... your user title says "DJ Vic Italiano" does that mean you are seriously a DJ?

rcdude1990

cool i wnt strip them then
and yea im a serious dj, i took the italiano out of the name and stuck wit dj vic, y?

scsinet

I was wondering what DJ software you use.
I do it occasionally friends and such, but basically I just play songs from a list. I was looking for something decent that would do crossfading, etc.