400w comparison q"s

S

spsaddict

anyone got any info on the 400w coralvue bulb...... im decideding between that and the xm 10 or 20k bulbs.
i have used the xm 20k but only in the 175w... i liked the coloration and growth....
also i have 2 175 ushios that are like 1 month old. i didnt plan on doing this upgrade until my best friend died. but with the difference between par values ect ect will it have any sort of effect... color imbalance wise... last thing id need is to have any sort of problems because of that....

bigmac

2x400 watt 20K CV bulbs...The first bulb lasted about 5 weeks, the second one died about 3-4 days later. Both bulbs ran on the PFO HQI ballast. CV thinks its a problem with my ballasts. I guess they both went bad within a weeks time, yet they both work fine running the Radium and Ushio 10K bulbs. Its thought that the capacitors and ignitors are badweak so they wont drive the CV bulbs... I guess CV thinks were supposed to replace the capacitors and ignitors every 12-18 months.

S

spsaddict

not what i wanted to hear, i thought only the 250 w cv lights were bad... darn... well i hope many post here with different storys bout cv, cuz thats the one i wanted to go with....

bigmac

Originally posted by spsaddict
not what i wanted to hear, i thought only the 250 w cv lights were bad... darn... well i hope many post here with different storys bout cv, cuz thats the one i wanted to go with....

I'm sure if this post hangs around long enough you'll get the answer your looking for.....That's pretty much true with any post.

S

spsaddict

lol, not that it isnt what i want to hear, ive just kinda been itchin to get the cv, but if they are junk i wont waste the money.... cmon i know others have 400w....

S

spsaddict

let me ask this, does anyone here besides bm here rum 400w mh......

acesfull

i run a 6,500k ushio, i like it alot. its a little yellow if u dont run actinicts though. the growth rates are great but coloration isn't anything special. except for my acropora humilius, which when i bought it, it was a dull yellow starting to brown out, but now it has recovered nicely and is turning a nice bright yellow and green. i should recieve my new 400w 10k coralvue tomorrow, but i am a little hesitant using as i have read tons of bad things about it, but i've also read great things about coloration of corals under the coralvue. but i really like my ushio, i would have ordered a 10k ushio, but the coralvue is 50$ cheaper. so i will soon find out if that was a mistake or not. if u dont mind spending the money get a 10k ushio

nm reef

I'm attempting to install a pair of 400 MH's on another persons system...I'm using the Ushio bulbs and from what I've seen they look decent enough. Much whiter than the 250 Iwasakis I run on my reef...but I haven't seen enough of them first hand to comment. Especially not in comparission to other 400 watt lamps.But most comments I've seen indicate the 400 watt Ushios are a quality bulb...that probably doesn't help much but its all I've got...:thinking:

S

spsaddict

nm dont sell your self short.... that was better than nothing.....