400w MHs over a 55g?

reefnut

What does everyone think about putting 2-400w MHs up over a 55g tank?? I have 2-400w MHs & 2-110 VHOs doing nothing right now...

maxalmon

what are you trying to keep? With that kinda lighting I would think you would burn everything in the tank. there is such a thing as overkill, how do you keep it cooled?

teen

i think it would be good for a sps and clam tank. do you also have an extra chiller, or are you plumbing it into an existing tank? i think the MH and vho would be overkill, but just the MH would be a better idea.

reefnut

I have not addressed heat yet... that's the only problem I can see... otherwise I think it would work well. I would be looking into getting back into sps corals if this is what I decide to do. My other corals would be acclimated and/or relocated if necessary so they should do just fine.
btw, thanks teen for the worthwhile thoughts.

reefnut

No chiller but I could get one. I know heat will be the largest issue but I think I'm going to give it a go!

bonebrake

If your room is cool, and you go topless and keep the lights high over the tank you can probably skip the chiller. Get tons of SPS and clams. It will look really sweet! Post pics if you get a chance!

klaramore

No softy's or musrooms, zoo.s. you will bleech out most of your corals. I would cut it back to 250 -275 or 1 400

lubeck

SPS ALL THE WAY! I think you should keep both VHO and Mh.. your going to need the vho for color contrast or it will look too "whitish yellow". I would get the chiller and go for it. Please post pics. I am just starting with sps I am installing a dart pump and an ocean motion 4 way on my 110gal. I have 3 Mh bulbs... 2-250watt 10k and 1-150watt 20k. plus 2-65w pc acintics for lighting and WISH I had 2-110watt VHO to add on. My fish love the light now except for my mandrin goby. My acropora seems to be doing OK but not sure what exactly I am looking for.
I can't wait to stock with sps let me know how it goes. good luck and have fun. rlubecky@sbcglobal.net

drewsta

It is overkill IMO unless you have the halides laying around I would just go cheaper and get a couple of 250s with VHO + If you walk within 5 feet of your tank your face will melt!

symon

I run 2- 400 watt 20k's ove my 60 gal now! Other then heat, they are awsome! I have them mounted in my canopy with a 260 watt pc combo. I also have a reefkeeper 2 that monitors the heat and shuts down the Halides at 82 degrees
Although i will admit alge has been an issue!
IMAGINE THAT!

nano_nut

I'm fairly new to the hobby but sheesh two 400W Halides seems waaaaaaay overkill. I personaly would save the two 400W for ATLEAST maybe a 75g or even bigger. Maybe you can swap the bulbs for two 250's!!!

mrdc

Depending on how high you mount them over the tank, I say go for it. My thinking was that around 10w per gallon was plenty and the halides alone would give you close to 15. IMO the halides would be plenty enough and it depends on what you are putting in the tank. Clams, zoos, acro, ... will love the intense light. If you go for it, hopefully a few fans will take care of the heat. Why don't you send me your 400s and I will send you my 250s?!?