$425 to spend on Lighting (T5)

whyamisofl

(My other thread is getting deleted as I have a set amount of money to spend)
60g tank currently has 3-96w PC's.......gotta go!!!
I will be doing zoanthids, mushrooms, an anemone, and a colony of bright pink birdsnest (<

[hr]
the whole reason for changing lights, its a MUST!).
In all honesty, that is the only LPS or SPS that I have actually liked and plan to keep.
So, I have $425 to spend out the door (bulbs and all). I am looking at t5HO.
I will be keeping my canopy as it just finishes off the tank look. I can add fans if needed.
So, let your opinions and suggestions run wild!!! - Retro's and DIY are fine by me!

whyamisofl

36" long 20" tall (17" to top with sandbed)
I will do a fixture, DIY, or retro. Only thing with the fixture is that it wouldn't work with my canopy and it is an acrylic tank, so it looks like butt without a canopy.

whyamisofl

What about -
36" 4 Lamp Complete T5 Retrofit Kit by IceCap for $343.95 shipped (including UV lighting bulbs) or $367.95 shipped with Giesemann bulbs.

rebelprettyboy

Id think ud need at least 6 to keep the nem really happy. What kind of reflectors does it come w?
im tellin u that deal on reefgeek for the tek fixture is good. 429 w the bulbs! I paid 400 for the fixture and 20-30 for each bulb. and I only bought 2 bulbs and still gotta get to.
i got that same fixture for my 40 breeder

whyamisofl

I understand that it is a good deal on the fixture, but I am doing anything and everything to avoid using a fixture.

rebelprettyboy

lol reefgeek
36" 6x39W Tek 2 T5 High-Output Retrofit Kit w/ Bulbs
by Sunlight Supply
List Price: $509.00
Our Price: $439.00
You Save: $70.00 (14%)

whyamisofl

Will the IceCap ballast make a big difference??? Here is the 36" 4 Lamp Complete T5 Retrofit Kit by IceCap
Ice Cap Ballasts are the coolest ballasts available using 40% less electricity and burning 40% brighter. Their unique circuitry prevents premature lamp burn out and fading associated with VHO lamps.
You can run VHO, HO, and STD lamps in any combination. In summary, the Icecap 660 is a versatile and powerful ballast. IceCap Model 660 is the most versatile and powerful ballast.
Specific features include:
* Unsurpassed Versatility - A Model 660 can operate up to 16 lamp feet with a total of 464 rated lamp watts.
* Individual lamps can be 2 through 6 feet each. This corresponds to 12 different lamp configurations. Maximum light output with VHO and HO lamps.
* Cold temperature starts to -40 degrees Celsius.
* 3 Year Limited Warranty.
Retro Kit Includes:
* 4 Pairs T5 Endcaps
* 4 Pairs T5 Standoffs
* 4 SLR IceCap Reflectors
* 4 Sets T5 Reflector Clips
* 1 Power Cord (Grounded)
* Wire Nuts
* 1 IceCap 660 Electronic Fluorescent Ballast
T5 Lamps Options:
Option 1:
2 x AquaSun 39W T5 Fluorescent Aquarium Lamps by UV Lighting
2 x Super Actinic R 39W T5 Fluorescent Aquarium Lamps by UV Lighting
Option 2:
2 x Actinic White 39W T5 Fluorescent Aquarium Lamps by UV Lighting
2 x Super Actinic R 39W T5 Fluorescent Aquarium Lamps by UV Lighting
Option 3:
2 x AquaSun 39W T5 Fluorescent Aquarium Lamps by UV Lighting
2 x Actinic White 39W T5 Fluorescent Aquarium Lamps by UV Lighting
Or I can change all bulbs to Giesemann bulbs for $6 more per bulb.

whyamisofl

Also, I see on some sites that they have high output t5s and very high output t5s.......what do I need?? t5ho or t5vho?
If you couldn't tell, I am friggin lost

wattsupdoc

With the retro kits you "may" be hard pressed to get 6 of them across your canopy. I know on a 18" DIY canopy we did it was a tight fit. So depending on the canopy you might not even be able to get them across it. Now, the ice cap ballast WILL overdrive the lamps, so they put out more PAR than they will on other ballasts, like are sold with the sunlight supply retros. But they will need replacing sooner. The price on the mentioned TEK fixture is sweet. BUT....you don't want that and I understand. My advise to you would be get the ice cap retro, cram it in the canopy as tight as you can leaving what ever room you can, so if need be later you can add another retro. Even if it's just one bulb and reflector. You could use that one as your actinic lighting, and run it before during and after your primary light cycle. Then run the other 4 as your PAR producers, like the 10,000K lamps etc.
Don't feel bad, lighting is a complicated part. I believe that with the icecap retro running good quality PAR producing bulbs, you will be OK. But things might not be doing the best. So if you see the birdsnest not growing as fast, or it's color morphing, then add the other. The thing is, you might not notice the anemone doing very well, and it cant adapt to less than perfect lighting. I will say though that I have seen a GIANOURMOUSE Rose bubble tip doing very well under 2 VHO's on an icecap 660.
I run the UV super actinics and like the color very much. (My lighting period is very long <15Hrs.> and only 5 hours of that is with the MH's.) But actinic lighting is not very good a producing PAR. There is a thread on another site that has PAR values of T5 lamps posted. I think it's grimreefers data. Google ...T5ho Par value grimreefer and see what that digs up. Select bulb from the highest PAR values there. Of course consider the look too. I generally don't care much about the daytime lights and just use them for growth, but I'm weird like that I guess.
I like the blue lighting best. However, tasking pics under 10'000k lighting isn't that great, and nearly impossible under actinics.

wattsupdoc

Well, I love the hobby, and some great people on here gave me a leg up when I started saltwater. So I'm just paying it forward.