44G BRUTE

meowzer

OK....I am in need of a new W/c container for my tanks.....My last one sprung a leak
...luckily I got the w/c done before it burst....phew
BUT, I no longer trust Rubbermaid or Walmart cans.....
I have located a 44G Brute, seamless, leakproof, food grade container (imagine that...I found something local)
Is this the one that YOU WOULD use????/

meowzer

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3273304
If I needed a large container for water changes, yup you bettcha.

Brute it is...thanks...just wanted to be sure before I went to get it...I'm tired of tossing money out the window on worthless stuff

aquaknight

Well technically Brutes are a product of Rubbermaid
..... But yes, Brutes are designed to hold liquids as well and are incredibly tough.

meowzer

HMMM...The can is $39.95, and the wheel attachment (dolly system) is $42.95

I think all I really need is a longer siphon hose :) maybe 5 more feet

2quills

I picked my Brute (32G) up at home depot in the lawn and garden section for $29. I wouldn't waste the money on the dolly system unless you have smooth concrete or hardwood floors. But the optional dolly was only like 32 bucks at home depot when I got mine a couple of months ago.

meowzer

I just called Home Depot in P aris TX.....they have them...YAYYYY, and I just happen to be going there tomorrow...They have a 50G too, but it is $20 more then the 44g...I don't think that 6g's is worth $20 to me....LOL
JUST OUT OF CURIOSITY..............How do you guys sanitize yours when you get them????????????

meowzer

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3273681
As with everything, a vinegar rinse will help to get it ready to use.
Thanks......I sure hope a good 40G w/c compared to the 25G's I have been doing will make a difference.....I am noticing a little HA popping back up in the 225G, but I also just got my new chemi-pure elite....I will be putting it in later this evening. (hope it helps with the phospahte issue too)

srfisher17

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3273682
Thanks......I sure hope a good 40G w/c compared to the 25G's I have been doing will make a difference.....I am noticing a little HA popping back up in the 225G, but I also just got my new chemi-pure elite....I will be putting it in later this evening. (hope it helps with the phospahte issue too)
I've used Chemi-Pure for years and love it. The Elite just adds Ferric Hydroxide to remove phosphates and it does that very well. however, the FH is exhausted long before the Chemi-Pure. FH will last a few weeks; the CP 4 months plus. IMO, you get more value and better results using regular CP and just running FH in a separate media bag as needed. For long-term use I prefer an aluminum based product, like SeaChem Phosguard. It doesn't work as fast as FH, but lasts much longer.

meowzer

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/3274004
I've used Chemi-Pure for years and love it. The Elite just adds Ferric Hydroxide to remove phosphates and it does that very well. however, the FH is exhausted long before the Chemi-Pure. FH will last a few weeks; the CP 4 months plus. IMO, you get more value and better results using regular CP and just running FH in a separate media bag as needed. For long-term use I prefer an aluminum based product, like SeaChem Phosguard. It doesn't work as fast as FH, but lasts much longer.
Thanks, I have some phosguard hanging in pantyhose in my sump right now, I am also looking into a phosban reactor....

meowzer

The BRUTE is in the house
....Got it at Home Depot Saturday...rinsed it...soaked it in a vinegar water mixture yesterday....rinsed really good...let dry...and it is now inside :)
Too bad I have to go to work tomorrow...LOL...I will do a nice 40G w/c next Friday or Saturday....My RO/DI unit is working properly again, hopefully the seal for the canister that contains the new chemi-pure elite will be here by then too....and DOUBLE HOPEFULLY that fixes the leak.....
I will also be ordering a phosban reactor this week too....and some gfo.....
more money spent, but hopefully this will solve my issues

srfisher17

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3274628
I will also be ordering a phosban reactor this week too....and some gfo.....
more money spent, but hopefully this will solve my issues

Hey! Getting new toys all the time is half the fun of this hobby/addiction! AHHHHH! The smell of new acrylic!

spanko

Sent a question off to the Brute folks, here is their answer.
Dear Henry,
Thank you for your inquiry. There are no special procedures that I am aware of for the food grade products. Thanks and please let me know if you have any further questions?
Derik Hodson
1-800-810-7847
www.georgiamills.com
www.commercialmatsandrubber.com
www.rubbermaidcommercialproducts.com

[hr]
Original Message

[hr]
To: service@rubbermaidcommercialproducts.com
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2010 3:45 PM
Subject: Curing of food grade products.
Is there any need to cure any of the food grade products prior to using them for storage? If so what would be the correct procedure?
Best regards,
Henry G. Mello