46 Gallon Bow - Input/Suggestions?

john rambo

IMG_9181 copy.JPG
IMG_9182 copy.JPG
IMG_9184 copy.JPG
IMG_9185 copy.JPG
Hello all,

Not new to the hobby, but new to corals. I recently broke down my 125 FOWLR as I have moved to a 3rd floor apartment. I have a 46 gallon bow front. Over 80lbs of live rock and a 4" sand bed. It is being ran by

API Filstar M (rated for 75 gallons) - any suggestions on media? I have always had wet/dry/fuge in the past. Currently running stock media - 1 30ppi foam for removal of finer debris, Bio-Chem Stars superior biological filtration. Grows massive coloinies of beneficial nitrifying bacteria. Size 6: superior resins activated carbon.Cleans & Clears aquarium water. 1 microfiltration pad for ultra-fine filtration and polishing. Also running a few pieces of crushed up live rock and 4 bio balls in one chamber.

Coralife 65 - overall, I was happy with my 220 model and have been happy so far with this model as well.

1 koralia Power Head - either rated for 850 or 1150. Can't remember.

Current USA Orbit Marine LED Light - I've been very happy with this new to the market product so far. The customization is incredible.

Current Live Stock

Fish

Coral Beauty
Clown Fish
Royal Gramma
Melanrus Wrasse

Corals

Green Starburst Polyp - added on 9/23

Green Colony Polyp - added on 9/23

Inverts

Serpent Star
20 tiny blue leg hermits
10 cerith snails

I'm mainly looking for feedback on how to control the nitrates (any special tricks with canisters)? Also, any easy corals you've had success with under medium light, or inverts (shrimp)?

Thanks!

bang guy

Look into algae scrubbers. There are a few easy designs around here that a good search should find. These will help maintain low Nitrate AND Phosphate levels. They can also help maintain a steady PH.

john rambo

Look into algae scrubbers. There are a few easy designs around here that a good search should find. These will help maintain low Nitrate AND Phosphate levels. They can also help maintain a steady PH.
Awesome you mentioned it. I'm a strong believer in scrubbers, in fact I had one running on my 125 FOWL R towards the end. It didn't wipe my nitrates or algae out entirely, but within the few months it was running I noticed an improvement. Here's an old video showing it running on my system. I actually traded the scrubber in yesterday at a LFS. Far too large to run under my 46, and also outdated in regards to newer successful scrubbers.