46g bowfont

small time

i'm trading for a new 46g bow front and plan on putting together a softy tank with an eel (kids want an eel)
no sump just powerhead(s) for circulation
if problems start (water quality) will add hang on turbo berlin skimmer (skimmer in garage)
soft corals include polyps, zoo's, leather,star polps and xeina farm for filtration
plan on lighting with 2 96watt pc - if not enough light will change lights to duel 150w hqi de mh
i saw a pic of colored sand(red) where do you get this?
i know corals will be knocked down but i want to try this combo tank
is anyone else using natural filtration (xeina)?
heres a pic of my 110 taking out all soft corals and changing over to all lps sps tank
thanks

leopard_babe

I have a 46 bow. I had a puffer in there for a short time. My nitrates were SO HIGH. I was going to add an eel, but the waste was outrageous.
I have black sand, that came from my LFS. You could check some other websites... I bet you could find some there.
In my 46 I have a wet/dry and 2 ph. I still have nitrates of 5. Along with my 60 lbs of ls, and 50lbs of LR, I still get some hair algea. I still have alot of issues with my nitrates. With a messy fish like an eel, you might want to do a little research on naturl filtration.
Your 110 looks great. Is that natural filtration?? I think that a 46 is a great choice for a reef. I love my bow. You will not regret getting that tank!!!
Just a thought.
Leopard

small time

yes the 110 is all natural filtration with 10% water change weekly and no skimmer (lots of xeina)
have to stay on top of water quality i am going to put a skimmer back on real soon
have a big clean up crew hundreds of tiny snails that clean every little nook
7 fish total 1 tang 2 damsel 2 bangi cardnial 1 angel 1 copper butterfly
lots of corals
if anyone local needs xeina i have plenty FREE
located so cal mbzd@netzero.com

moto757

never seen the red sand i got the black sand and looks real good but is real fine and my eel and trigger kick it up on my live rock alot and i have to blow it off with a power head