48" nova extreme lights

mikes22123

I want to buy this product and turn my saltwater fish with live rock tank into a reef tank. My tank has been running over 2 years with pretty good water parameters.
I have a standard 55 gallon tank that is 48" long and 13" wide. These lights have a listed width of 14". Can they still fit on my tank ? Not sure if the 14' refers to the width of the unit at it's widest point or how far apart the legs that fit on the tank are ?
Also I run these directly on top of the tank I assume with no clear plastics between them and the surface of the water ?
Please help a newcomer to reef tanks.

mikes22123

Yes, the 8 x 54W is listed on every site I look as 14" wide. The 4 x 54 watt is narrow but this one is 14" wide.

mikes22123

no canopy - right now i just have the simple no flor. loghts that came with the tank - it is a standard 55 gallon I bought at Pet Smart.

C

cmaxwell39

I have these lights on my 75. They would fit over a 55, but would hang over the tank a bit. Also if you are going to use the included legs you will find it to be a real pain to do anything in the tank. If you are planning on hanging them above the tank a little higher than what the legs sit it would maybe work all right for you. HTH.

reefraff

I'd price a 4 lamp Tek T5, it will put about as much light in the tank due to the individule reflectors.

mikes22123

Thanks for your reply, may go that route. I am worried about the larger lights interferring with my HOB Protien Skimmer or HOB refugium.
Question #2 -What livestock can I get with 4 light TEK's ? Can I get an anenome ? Most corals ?
Question #3 - I noticed the TEK lights come without bulbs. What are the best bulbs to buy ?

reefraff

You would be able to keep most critters under a 4 lamp Tek. Aquactinics makes a 5 lamp unit that would allow you to keep anything but lower light stuff. The Tek will support a BTA easy enough. For lamps I would do a Sun or Day light, An actinic like the UVL super actinic and a couple of Blue Plus which are made by ATI.