4ft light over a 6ft tank

mkroher

I'm thinking about upgrading from a 4ft to 6ft tank. Anyone have experience or thoughts about hanging a 4ft light over the center of the tank? I would put the rocks and coral in the middle, and have "shaded/sandy" areas on the sides.
I'm thinking it will either look really cool, or really dumb. Oh, and the tank will be in a wall, so the light fixture wont' be visual.
Thanks

spanko

I have seen some tanks that have purposely had the outside ends darker than the middle and stocked coral according to light needed and available. Really a personal preference of what you like me thinks. What type of light is it that you have?

flower

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3295843
I have seen some tanks that have purposely had the outside ends darker than the middle and stocked coral according to light needed and available. Really a personal preference of what you like me thinks. What type of light is it that you have?

Oh I agree! Put non-photosynthetic coral along the outside where the light is dim...it makes a nice effect too, not so much glaring light all over, making nice shadows.
Make sure you hang the lights as you said you would, it would be dangerous to try and set the unit where it could fall in because it won't stretch all the way across.

reefkprz

as long as you place corals accordingly you'll be fine using a 4 foot fixture over a 6 foot tank. just make sure its perfectly centered or your tank will look lopsided. even an inch will make your tank look like its leaning.

mkroher

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3295843
6 bulbTek light 3 Actinic+ and 3 Aquablue+

mkroher

Thanks for the feedback guys :)
I want a 150, but I think a 125 would be easier to maintain since it won't be as deep.