5 beginner corals

kris walker

I would not go 5 at first. I would go 1 for 2 weeks, then the other 4 after that. But if you must:
mushroom rock
toadstool leather
tree leather
cabbage leather
button polpys
sam

Are you wanting to do hard or soft corals? I know a good soft coral would be a colt. What type of lighting do you have?

OK that was retarded I did not pay attention that you had already listed what type of lighting. You may even want to try a frogspawn or a torch.

kimf

I have a long tenacle anemone, ughly blah color, and tons of green mushrooms.
Looking for something easier than the haddoni that just died to add color to my tank.

kris walker

Quite honestly, I didn't read your signature either first. :eek: After reading, I see you have anemones. If the anemones have been doing fine, and you want to go for hard corals for color, you might try LPS corals like an open brain, frogspawn, plate, etc.
sam

biggdriver

Bright yellow leather coral is also good and so is bubble and elegance corals..Have had leathers drop off and multiply...

keitho

you could also try candy or trumpet coral (caulastrea furcata or caulastrea curvata). they do well in most cases and seem to be really hardy. you may also want to try some green star polyps...

keitho

one more thing...i'd beware of butterflies in a reef tank. a LOT of butterfly species rely upon coral as a major constituent in their diet. if you keep the butterfly, you may want to try to stay clear of corals in the butterfly's native region (it may not recognize other corals as food). anyway, just a thought...

volitan

IMO brains are the most colorful, hardiest corals there are. I know some people who have alot of trouble with them, but mine has been great!

hondo

If you consider a brain coral get rid of the long nosed butterfly as it will pick it to death. These fish are considered reef friendly with caution and I beleive the earlier post is correct in stating if a coral naturally inhabits the area the fish is from it will consider it food. I had one in a tank full of softies and various LPS and it constantly picked at the brain coral and nothing else.

kimf

The longnose butterfly is not doing well. I have not seen him eat anything. Today I found him sucked up next to the ph filter in an unside down position. I turned off the ph and he righted himself, but not very active.
Any thoughts on feeding?