5 Gallon tanks

curry

I have a few extra 5 gallon tanks laying around, most of them used to house my pet scorpions... I was wondering if I should save them... would they be of any use down the road when I build bigger aquariums?
If so what could I do with them? Throw me some suggestions so I can do some research/HW!!
Thanks!

Well after a good cleaning of course you could use them as a small sump or refugium. A specific critter tank like seahorses or some of the meny different gobies out there, isolation/QT tanks.

curry

Ok so I decided that it would be a good idea to use the tank to store live rock and it could be a frag tank at the same time. I have a thing for zoo's and any other coral that is EASY to take care of.. Hmm I wonder why??? LOL
In anycase once I can get my hands on some Zoo's I will get going.
So funny story... The tank no longer contains the killie fish... I used them for bait... well I have two left. Anyway my mom shows up with two green spotted puffers and a blue damsel for my tank... She meant well...lol I had seen these a few weeks ago at petland and I know they require 30+ gallon tanks...
I can't take them back to the store they wont accept the return and they wont give me credit... I won't be getting my 30 gallon done anytime soon... My 10 gallon is almost ready...
So what should I do with the puffers? Can the damsel stay in the tank? Filtration is pretty good, water is crystal clear and the numbers are stable... The interesting thing is I expected them to nip at snap at each other but they are all getting along fine and dandy...
The best I can do is move them to the 10 gallon but when they get any bigger I wont have anywhere to put them... Unless I get my 30 gallon sooner.

skate020

the only thing you can do is put them in the 10g, aslong as there small there not going to suddenly grow to big for hte tank in a matter of days, maybe after a year they will but i trust you will have the 30g by then?
if theres things in there that your puffers will eat, then just simply, clean the 5g's good, put a cheap sponge filter in and put it in there for the time being, i know a 5g is TINY but its theres only the tiniest bit of LR in there and LS and NO OTHER livestock, it should be ok for it for a lil while, just untill you get the 30g up and running.
but if theres nothing in the 10g that'll get chomped, by all means, introduce it to that:)
make sure theres a cave for it to hide in thoo

skate020

even worse tho, its a maroon clown in a 5g??!!!?? and is that a anemone in the corner
that tank will last like 6months before getting over run by the anemone

curry

Originally Posted by skate020
http:///forum/post/3158748
the only thing you can do is put them in the 10g, aslong as there small there not going to suddenly grow to big for hte tank in a matter of days, maybe after a year they will but i trust you will have the 30g by then?
if theres things in there that your puffers will eat, then just simply, clean the 5g's good, put a cheap sponge filter in and put it in there for the time being, i know a 5g is TINY but its theres only the tiniest bit of LR in there and LS and NO OTHER livestock, it should be ok for it for a lil while, just untill you get the 30g up and running.
but if theres nothing in the 10g that'll get chomped, by all means, introduce it to that:)
make sure theres a cave for it to hide in thoo
I guess I'll put them in my 10g as soon as I finish setting it up. They are way too small to eat the blue leg hermits so they should be fine. I will most likely have the 30 or 55g within a year.
Thanks for the advice!

nw2salt08

Originally Posted by Curry
http:///forum/post/3158970
I guess I'll put them in my 10g as soon as I finish setting it up. They are way too small to eat the blue leg hermits so they should be fine. I will most likely have the 30 or 55g within a year.
Thanks for the advice!
You'd be surprised. I have two green spotted puffers in my 55gal with two fiddler crabs and they nip at them all the time. I don't expect those crabs to be around once the puffers get big enough.

curry

Originally Posted by Nw2Salt08
http:///forum/post/3158982
You'd be surprised. I have two green spotted puffers in my 55gal with two fiddler crabs and they nip at them all the time. I don't expect those crabs to be around once the puffers get big enough.
Yea I am expecting that but just not yet... lol. If I find someone who would want them before they grow I will let them go once the person is aware of how they need to care for them and has the right setup. Still they are very fun to watch and today everytime i put my finger up too the glass they would follow it around... lol