5 part identification quiz....and some specific questions.

ahoowahoo

I'm looking for some help from you old SW hands on IDing s few things in my tank. If you follow the link below you should see 5 pics of things growing on my live rock. None of the things in the pics were growing on the rock when I received it 12 days ago.
Please excuse what might seem to you all as stupid questions but I'm still new to SW.
http://virtualwunders.com/fish/tank.htm
Tank background
4 weeks old (LR 12 days-nearly cured from the vendor)
50G
80lbs LR
220W lights (110 10K & 110 blue)
5 150 gph PWs
1 200 gph Fluval 304 (no media except mesh)
Remora Pro (w/Mag 3 pump)
Pic 1
A - I assume this is some sort of macro algae? While I'm happy that anything is growing, I've read some threads from folks that have this stuff nearly taking over their tank and I would like to know if I have trouble ahead. First appeared about a week ago and now some of them are about an inch long.
Pic 2
A - More of the same growth as in pic 1
b - These are interesting little things (to me at least lol). They range in size from about 4mm to 6mm. In the photo it is hard to tell but they have little ribs growing on the inside and they look very much like the structures above them on a different rock (only these are living and the ones above appear to have been dead for quite some time). Growth rate +- 1mm per day.
C - About the best way I can describe this thing is a cocoon looking think with an opening the closes periodically??? It is about 3/4 of an inch long.
Pic 3
A - This is one of the neatest things so far in my tank. I noticed it on Christmas eve as it was waving back in forth. I call my wife into my computer/tank room to show her and its gone.
:confused: (Course she is looking at me like I'm crazy...saying surrrrrrrrrre I believe you, in a voice that only wives can use LOL.) About 30 seconds later I'm looking at the spot where I though I saw it and POOF, Its back! I actually saw it re-emerge. Every so often it just sucks itself back into the rock?? Also noticed that it is photo sensitive. When I was clicking these pictures when the flash went off it pulled the disappearing act only to reappear a minute or two later.
Pic 4
There are little colonies of what can best be described white "tentacles". They seem to flutter in the water movement quite easily back and forth. Where they are found they number from 6 to more than 10.
Pic 5
This greenish/red stuff is what really caused me to post this message. I was quite content to just let my rock cure for 3-6 weeks (however long it took to get water quality levels where they need to be) but this stuff is starting to grow fast. In fact, some of the coraline algae is starting to get covered with the stuff.
So I'm thinking of getting some sort of clean up crew to start munching this stuff.
Option 1
12 Scarlet Hermit Crabs, 20 Turbo (or Astrea) Snails, 30 Mexican Red-Leg (or 60 Blue-Leg) Hermits, 1 Abalone (or 2 Tiger Tail Cucumbers), 2 Emerald Mythrax Crabs, 2 Sand Sifting Cucumbers, 1 Brittle Star, 1 Serpent Star, 1 Red Fromia/Orange Knobby Star, 10 Burrowing Snails. $151 (free shipping and no tax)
Option 2
25 Scarlet Reef Hermits
35 Blueleg Hermits
25 Turbo Snails
1 Sally Lightfoot Crab
1 Cucumber
5 Peppermint Shrimp
3 Brittle Stars
4 Emerald Crabs
$119 Free shipping
Water parameters
Ammo - 0 (was <.25 last week and not sure why NO2 and NO3 didn't go up afterwards)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ph 8.5 or 8.2 (from 2 different test kits)
Alk 3.2
So the questions....
1) Would it make sense to add a cleanup crew to control the stuff in Pic 5?
2) Isn't it unusual to have such a difference in Ph readings from one test kit to another? (8.5 is from Red Sea kit 8.2 is from the SW test included in the kit I use for my discus)
3) If I do believe the Red Sea test what is the most effective way of lowering Ph? (assuming the the buffering capacity is sufficient to maintain the right Ph level-alk would seem to be ok at 3.2?)
4) Should I be running my lights? If so, should I slap my timers on to give the tank specific light periods? (I have been running my lights +- 12 hours a day since receiving my rock on the premise that if I wanted things to grow they would need light (although Walt Smith, where the rock originated, says not to while curing to minimize algae growth)
5) If I do add a cleanup crew will they have enough to eat without any food being introduced in the tank?
When I received my LR I sort of just layed it arbitrarily in my tank without any concern with its arrangement from an aesthetic point of view. My plan was to wait until it cured, and then arrange and epoxy the peices together how I wanted them. Now that it looks as though things are moving faster than I anticipated I need to get things rolling. But I don't want to kill things I know are growing now :eek: !
Please tell me if this plan makes sense.
1) In my new 20 rubbermaid bin I plan to use to premix SW I siphon off say 10G of water.
2) Take out 10 - 15 #s of rock, arrange and epoxy them, and return to tank.
3) Repeat step 2 until all rock is arranged.
(I'm hopeing that in the couple of minutes the rock might not be fully submerged wont' fatally damage anything??)
4) Add sand.
5) Introduce cleanup crew.
Wow, this post has kindda got outta control. Sorry about that...
5 :rolleyes:
As I've said I'm still new to the marine environment and I REALLY apprecite the time people take to respond to my queries! :)
Thanks again.....
AW

aceiswild7

the smal things in pic 2 are button polyps they will multiply and are a good sign.. pic three is a featherduster also good im sure there are plenty more on the rocks if you look hard enough and in pic one that is some kind of benificial macro algae not sure what its called though
good luck

ahoowahoo

Thx Ace! I did see another thing that could be a FD I guess. It looks different that the one I posted in that it is more upright (maybe 2 mm fully extended) and sort or looks like a palm tree :D It also retreats, but into something I can see (unlike the one in pic 3), a little green nub about 1mm high.
AW

josh

Hi, your red algae is cyanobacteria it appears. You can get a clean up crew but they don't usually eat the red algae, however they will aid in nutrient export. Also, maybe get some sawtooth to help with the export. I didn't see your phos levels mentioned, high phos levels tend to aggrevate the condition. So I would
1.Do a water change
2.If the phos levels are high, do a phos sponge treatment
3.And get some macro algae to compete for nutrients with the red algae, as well as getting a clean up crew.
HTH
Josh

josh

Hi again, I am just seeing more in that post. Yes it is normal for Ph to vary. I will vary throughout the day. However, your buffer should not overshoot 8.3, with daily fluxuations. Yes I would get timers for the lights. I have my acitinics come on an hour before / after the big ones do. I have a total photoperiod of 10 hours. And yes I ran my lights for the cycle time, which you should be about done with. I would not add the entire clean up crew ( recommended 1 janitor for each gallon or so ) until you see more algae growth for them to eat - - but you can add a few now and that would be a good idea.
I will post more as I wade through the post JK :) keep asking questions that is the only way to get info!!!! We are all glad to help
Josh

ahoowahoo

I finally figured out how to turn the flash off to try capture more closely the actual color of this stuff. With it on there sure is a more of a reddish tint. But when I'm looking at it it doesn't really look red. Anyway, here is a pic that more closely resembles first hand viewing.
http://virtualwunders.com/fish/algae.htm
Josh-from StL? Originally from Belleville myself. LOL small world, eh? :p

fshhub

pictures
1) looks (a bit) like sargassum , can get out of control, if you let it, but is a good sign, it is a type of macro algae, if it does get outta hand, just prune it
2)definitely looks like polyps, another good sign
3)a feather duster, another good sign, you probably do have or will get more, feed them
4)looks like another type of macro, con't make it out
[ December 27, 2001: Message edited by: fshhub ]

fshhub

questions
1)yes, could not hurt
2)no
3)water changes, adding no buffer, first have the lfs test it before jumping the gun
4)i followed walt smiths advice, which did include some lighting, gradually increasing
5)maybe, depends on the crew, if not add some algae wafers, easy solution
plan makes sense, wait a couple of days,between 4 and 5 (to make sure you don't get any spikes), then add detrivores too, cleaners can be sensitive to water conditions, then wait a couple of weeks, min. 2 before adding fish

ahoowahoo

Thx Fshhub. Adding sand can cause a spike? I thought just orgainic stuff would do that?
I was definitly planning to wait quite a while before adding any fish....couple of months wouldn't bother me. My discus tanks taught me patience lol. Plus, its need just watching things go...
Would you forsee any problems with the number of critters included in those packages causing problems in terms of too high a bioload?

wrigley11

Okay about the rock...
Picture 1 type A
Sometype of Macro-Green Algea, by the pic not sure what type... for now just leave it. It will help with the cycle and can be a nice addition to the tank. If it gets out of control just pull it out.
Picture 2 type B
Button polys... leave this you will want them. They will continue to divid and will cover the rock really cool looking.
Picture 3 type A
Feather duster worm... you really eant these. Means the rock is good and the tank is going really well.
Picture 4
Looks to me to be a form of macro algea... or it's tube worms. If it is tube worms you can easily break them off of the rock. These are good and bad. If you like them keep them, if not just break them of the rock with you hand... should be easy enough.
Picture 5
Im not sure what you are looking at... need more info.
About your clean up crews... email me at wrigley11@go.com I'll give the truth/ problem with what you chose there.
But for the most part I can give you this much here: As far as hermits go, if it's a reef I would only get scarlets. They tend not to eat each other and the snails for bigger shells. Also get some empty snail shells so the hermit crabs can switch shells.
Since your new, stay away from the cucumber, if it dies it can kill the whole tank.
But like I said email... there is something very important I can tell you about the packages off-line

wrigley11

Forgot this part... you may not have to wait three months before you add anything. Watch the cycle and when it is done you can add fish. The rock looks really good you shouldn't have to wait.
Also I see your into discus... great fish I would have to say. I just got me first set of babies from three different pairs of fish.
I can not wait to see if I can get the snowflakes to live.
But if you have any questions email me...

wrigley11

Forgot this part... you may not have to wait three months before you add anything. Watch the cycle and when it is done you can add fish. The rock looks really good you shouldn't have to wait.
Also I see your into discus... great fish I would have to say. I just got me first set of babies from three different pairs of fish.
I can not wait to see if I can get the snowflakes to live.
But if you have any questions email me...

ahoowahoo

Thx for the tips Wrigley...the email is on the way! :D
Having babies? I'm jealous!! :eek: LOl I'm happy if I can maintain the Ph around 7.0 let alone where down where it needs to be to get them frisky enough to make little discusses.
Brad

wrigley11

Actually to get the PH down use RO water... it is the only to have that happen...
That is advice for the Discus tank... not saltwater...

ahoowahoo

Thx Wrigley-hmmmmmm how do I convince the little mrs. that I need JUST one more little gadget for my fish he asks himself.... :D