50 hermits too many?

lillylegs

do you guys think that 50 hermit crabs are too much for a 35 gal? or would i just see a sea of crabs? im going with the berlin method but need more help to clean up LR. i ask b/c the u-build it section has a deal for 50...
thanks for your input

azonic

They would probably be fine...if food runs out for them, or there isn't enough to support them all, the bigger ones will simply eat the smaller ones. survival of the fittest

tjkohler

I have 2 hermits in my 10 gallon nano. That is all I need. I don't want many claws in my tanks. I would say 50 would be _way_ to many. I would probably go for no more than 10. Get Nassarius snails and they will perform the same function as the hermits on the sandbed _and_ somewhat on the glass. Plus they are cooler (that _is_ a word :))

lillylegs

so is the general rule of thumb about 1 hermit per gallon? its just such a good deal! i could get thirty for $30 or for an additional $10 get 20 more! i dont think there would be a limited supply of food. i feed my fish small amounts twice a day. the LR just looks dirty. not algaed, just dirty if you know what i mean.

tjkohler

Some people use that rule 1 per gallon. But when I said I would only get at most 10, I was talking about if I had your 35 gallon tank I would only get 10. Hermits can be oppurtunists ... that means they could take 'bites' out of things you don't want them eating. You want to get a nice balance.