thats just insane man, i couldnt even think of the cost of something like that going in, and the cost of just the salt to do water changes lol. out of all the people who want to see it, add me to the list too lol.......and out of all of them im the only one that is close, only 8 miles away, but very nice looking so far, keep the pics coming as you get more done.
Sure 850 is enough?
You forgot the generator in case the power goes out.....
Can you explain how you placed the tank???
If im seeing things right you built a shed, for lack of better words, and placed the tank on the roof? Looks like you have a vaulted ceilinged garage? My guess is you have support beams holding it up while you can get to the plumbing in the tank. What am i seeing in the actual shed? I see an empty sump on the bottom and some lighted other tank/refugium maybe? I have a cousin who wants to do something like that one day soon. I hope he calls me for advice
just pray you dont get a mantis...try finding the rock the mantis is in!!! lol beautifull!!! i thought my tank was small before...way to ruin my self esteem!!!! lol jp jp. luv the tank i am gonna come over and steal it lol.
To answer a few of the questions out there...
The "stand" was added on to the stand for the 500. After the 500 was down, I tore off the top and re-joisted/decked the top so that the new and old stand would be as one. The support beams (there are three main ones) are 5 1/8 X 16" X 11' Glu-lam beams... these beams can handle heavy weight and long spans (in this case, they are only spanning the door openings...5'). The load is spilt between the house's foundation wall and the garage floor...which I poured thick when I built the house 6 years ago.
The tank is acylic, constructed entirely of 1" thick material, and was fabricated by a local acylic fabricator... it weighs 1200lbs empty.
The cost of this upgrade was not too bad since all that is new is the tank and light hood(which I built myself)
That empty tank is not empty... it is the 150gal sump. Here's a closer look.
Oopps, missed a question...
The whole concept of this system was to create exceptional depth to add realism to the aquascaping and the fishes' motion. Most of the added real estate went into open areas and not reef space. The tank does look a little empty right now... but, that will change over time. I did lose a few (5 or 6) corals... but, none of my prized corals. My saddest loss was that of my blue carpet that passed about a week before the move. I attribute his demise to the fumes and dust that were generated preparing for the move. I tried to limit the fumes/dust, but, it wasn't enough, sadly.